Chorus America offers advanced education and enrichment opportunities to prepare choral conductors for lifetime professional conducting careers.
2020 Conducting Academy - July 13-19
During this week-long program hosted by California State University, Fullerton, participating conductors will focus on Haydn's choral-orchestral masterwork The Creation. A chorus and professional orchestra will be in residence, and the Academy culminates with a performance in Meng Concert Hall.
A world-class faculty offers podium coaching, video review sessions, individual instruction, and forums on topics such as performance practice, score preparation, and orchestral rehearsal procedures.
The Conducting Academy will partner with California State University, Fullerton's Choral Education Workshop for K-12 music educators.
Applications for Conducting Fellows and Conducting Scholars are currently open - deadline to apply is January 15! Full details are available on the Conducting Academy website.
SHIFT Conducting Workshop - April 1, 2017
Chorus America partnered with Washington Performing Arts (WPA) to present a conducting workshop on April 1, 2017, as part of SHIFT, a weeklong festival highlighting North American orchestras. Full details available here.
Conducting Masterclasses are designed to give choral conductors the opportunity to work with master teachers and coaches/mentors on skills during an intensive four-day program. Conducting Fellows are selected through a competitive application process; opportunities to participate as Conducting Associates and Auditors are available to conductors of all experience levels.
Recent Conducting Masterclasses
- Choral-Orchestral Conducting Masterclass with David Hayes and Jorge Mester, February 2014 at New York City's Mannes College The New School for Music. The Masterclass featured the Mannes Orchestra, chorus, and soloists.
- Children's/Youth Chorus Conducting Masterclass with Duain Wolfe and Rollo Dilworth, January 18-21, 2013 in Cincinnati, OH. Hosted by the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music and the Cincinnati Children's Choir.
Conducting Masterclasses and Workshops at Conference
Chorus America’s annual Conference often includes an opportunity for conductors to work with a master teacher and a professional-level ensemble with a focus on specific repertoire. Conference attendees can observe these sessions and learn about the challenges of conducting that repertoire.
Recent Conducting Masterclasses and Workshops at Conference
- Conducting Workshop with Robert Porco on recitative selections from Mendelssohn’s Elijah
- Conducting Workshop with Harry Christophers on chorus selections from Messiah, featuring an ensemble from the Handel and Haydn Society chorus
- Conducting Masterclass with André J. Thomas and Pearl Shangkuan on repertoire for chorus, organ, and brass, featuring The Esoterics
- Conducting Masterclass with Kathy Saltzman Romey and Anton Armstrong on sacred and secular 19th-century choral music, featuring the VocalEssence Ensemble Singers
- A Cappella Conducting Masterclass with Ragnar Bohlin on Scandinavian and Baltic choral music, featuring the International Orange Chorale of San Francisco