Director of Enrichment and Education
Honors Choirs of Southeast Minnesota is a nonprofit organization of five youth choirs for grades 1-12. Its mission is to promote the highest standard of excellence in the preparation and performance of choral music, seeking to provide artistic challenge and growth opportunities for youth throughout the region and enjoyment for the community at large. Membership is by audition and is open to all students who live in southeast Minnesota. This season, 350 singers from 22 southeast Minnesota communities and over 50 different area schools will sing in the choirs.
Description: Primarily responsible for identifying and implementing music education and enrichment program components for individual choirs, coordinating Honors Choirs outreach activities, and administrative tasks related to choir activities and performances. There are significant opportunities for creativity and flexibility in developing the offerings and experiences of this program. Position reports to the Artistic Director, with direction and oversight of administrative tasks from Executive Director.
- Music theory/ear-training initiative; classes, activities, possible online components
- Curriculum on basic rehearsal behaviors/skills, age-appropriate
- Coordinate mentorship activities between older and younger singers
- Support conductors with in-rehearsal theory work (identify and provide, as desired, appropriate materials)
- Organize/ coordinate vocal coaching opportunities
- Arrange extracurricular concert/ performance attendance opportunities (CANTUS, Met Opera auditions, Ordway, Blue Man Group, etc.)
- Plan and implement frequent online posts with links (YouTube, other) to model choral performances, or otherwise broaden singers’ musical horizons
Including and not limited to areas of:
- Children’s Choral Festival - Coordinate schools to participate, support engagement (handouts, logistics, T-shirts, etc.); Clinician/activity planning (support AD with communication, logistics, hospitality, etc.)
- School Outreach Tours coordination (communications, logistics, transportation, etc.)
- Boys & Girls Club liaison (determine opportunities and implement programs)
- Support ED in organizing, administering choir tours
- Solo/small group performances for community events (ad hoc)
Including, but not limited to:
- Singer recruitment, audition planning/logistics
- Music ordering, music distribution & collection, music library maintenance
- Performance and rehearsal activities—maintaining rosters, attendance data, treats, venue reservations, stage set-up, hiring instrumentalists, renting instruments, sound systems, piano tuning, etc.
Experience and Expertise Requirements:
- Music Education degree and/or successful experience
- Demonstrated ability in project management, group administration
- Enthusiasm to create, improvise, adapt lessons/experiences to fit our contexts
This is an hourly, non-exempt, part-time position at 30 hours per week, tentatively six regular, consistent hours on Sunday through Thursday, with some flexibility possible. The pay period is bi-weekly. Expansion of position to full-time possible depending on skills, experience and interest.
$20-24/hour, commensurate with experience
Candidates for the Director of Enrichment & Education position should send a cover letter and CV, including salary history, to Rick Kvam (Artistic Director) and Jayne Rothschild (Executive Director):
by email to: hc@HonorsChoirs.org
by standard mail to:
Honors Choirs of Southeast Minnesota
1001 14th Street NW
Rochester, MN 55901
The policy and intent of HCSM is to provide equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sex, or age.