Brief Summary: This part time (10-12 hours per week) position is an outgrowth of the mission of Nashville in Harmony and is responsible for the artistic development and maintenance of the Major Minors Youth Chorus program. As such, this position cultivates opportunities in which individual teens (and their families) can connect and build mutually supportive, accepting relationships, and intentional, visible community. This position also supports the artistic direction of Nashville in Harmony, participates in its artistic programming, and stands in for the Artistic Director as needed.
Reporting Relationship: The position reports directly to the Nashville In Harmony Artistic Director for artistic aspects and to the Major Minors Program Director for administrative aspects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adhere to all youth protection policies.
- Oversee the artistic direction and growth of Major Minors Youth Chorus program. This includes:
- Demonstrating a high professional standard and dynamic understanding of the youth voices, vocal pedagogy, language and diction.
- Overseeing and nurturing a supportive and quality musical learning environment
- Developing annual artistic and educational program ideas and appropriate curriculum for arts workshops/ clinics.
- Overseeing logistics and fulfillment of all rehearsals and educational programs that meet performance and community-building goals, including creating vocal part recordings and rehearsal resources as needed
- Overseeing concerts, including logistics, securing performance rights, scheduling and securing venues
- Repertoire selection and adaption from diverse musical styles and genres.
- Coordinating with Major Minors accompanist for rehearsals and performances
- Maintaining the Major Minors choral library, including cataloguing, distribution, and collection of scores
- Co-create with the Major Minors Program Director the design, plan, and execution of recruitment meetings, rehearsal, retreat, tour, performance, and camp opportunities as well as a published annual calendar of those events.
- Co-manage with the Major Minors Program Director the selection, oversight, and recognition of Major Minors adult volunteer members
- Coordinate with the Major Minors Program Director and the NiH Development Director the development of plans for financial maintenance of the Major Minors Youth Chorus. Work with the Program Director on annual budget development to implement performances and programs.
- Coordinate with Major Minors Program Director and Director of Marketing/ Communication to create and execute annual recruitment and marketing campaigns.
- Assist as needed with the artistic direction of Nashville in Harmony including conducting rehearsals and performances and participating in program planning.
- Engage in active, regularly communicate with internal stakeholders (parents, singers, volunteers, and NiH Board), donors, and community supporters with regular newsletters and monthly board reports.
- Represent Nashville in Harmony/Major Minors in community partnerships and networking events as a high-profile advocate and promoter
- Seek out collaborative opportunities for Major Minors with artists, arts organizations, local school music educators and administrations, and LGBTQ+ youth and community organizations, particularly on existing and emerging social justice issues
- Attend meetings, as needed, with donors and community partners, NiH Board, Major Minors leadership, and internal stakeholders
This position may permit continued education through attendance of professional conferences and workshops to enhance knowledge and skills and to build community with other choral directors and music educators.
Education: BA, BM or BFA required. Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education Preferred
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in choral conducting and/or similar required. Experience in planning and implementing performances and/or arts workshops, including creative programming skills. Must have experience and age specific competencies working with youth. Must have knowledge of and sensitivity to the LGBTQ+ community, choral movement, and musical/artistic community. Must be comfortable with their sexual and gender identity and be able to communicate professionally with the youth in our program.
Our Purpose and Vision:
This position supports the Nashville in Harmony mission of using music to build community and create social change. This organization seeks to promote equality, inclusion, and diversity of race, ability, gender and gender expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different.
$9,000 per year
Applicants should submit their Resume/ CV and a written statement of interest via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read “NiH Associate Conductor”