Associate Artistic Director
The Fort Wayne Children’s Choir (FWCC) seeks an Associate Artistic Director to contribute to the vision of the organization. The FWCC is searching for a highly organized, musically talented, energetic individual committed to supporting the mission of the organization.
The Fort Wayne Children’s Choir has been a vibrant part of the Northeast Indiana community for over 45 years and strives to provide a choral program exemplifying artistic and educational excellence for children from diverse backgrounds.
The successful candidate must be, first and foremost, a strong musician and educator. Strengths as a communicator, organizational skills, and exhibiting a passion for working with children are a must. She/he will invest time both in and out of the office and be visible in the community.
Responsible for overseeing the implementation of music education curriculum, including early childhood program, music educator relationships, artistic staff communications, and administrative office work. The Associate Artistic Director will work 30-40 hours per week, with the understanding that meeting times with teachers, rehearsals, concert performances, and other meetings may occur outside of regular business hours. The Associate Artistic Director reports directly to the Executive Artistic Director.
He/she will be expected to perform publicity/marketing functions, participate in fund raising events, manage rehearsals and scheduling, and build strong partnerships with other organizations.
- Direct one or two training choirs in weekly rehearsals and all performances
- Serve as the associate conductor for ensembles led by the Executive Artistic Director
- Oversee the music education curriculum while promoting the artistic and educational goals and guidelines set forth by the Executive Artistic Director
- Oversee the implementation of music theory and sight singing assessments
- Assist with planning and implementation of student tours
- Work closely with the Executive Artistic Director to maximize the choir’s visibility
- Create public awareness of the FWCC by working with local, regional, and national choral music and other arts organizations
- Audition and place members in appropriate choirs
- Work with local music educators to recruit members for FWCC, promote concerts and events, and attend annual music educator workshop
- Supervise artistic staff, including directors, accompanists, and early childhood music staff
- Coordinate artistic programming, including season concerts and outreach programs
- Partner with the Board of Directors and Executive Artistic Director in design, review and implementation of the Strategic Plan as it relates to artistic matters
- Interact with the FWCC Music Advisory Council on issues relating to recruitment, music education, and relationships with area music educators
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in music education from an accredited university
- Proven success in a choral classroom
- Experience with the Kodály philosophy of music education
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, networking, administrative, and collaboration skills
- Willingness to work as a member of a team
- Ability to serve as an accompanist (preferred)
- Experience in the non-profit sector (preferred)
This is a full-time position. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience.
The position will remain open until filled; however, applications will be reviewed beginning June 15, 2019.
Candidates must submit the following materials electronically in PDF format:
- Cover letter
- Three references
Email to: Jonathan Busarow, Executive Artistic Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please state Associate Artistic Director Search in subject line of the email.
Questions may be directed to Jonathan Busarow, Executive Artistic Director, at (260) 481-0481 or via email at email@example.com.