Artistic Director & Conductor
Position Summary: The Artistic Director and Conductor will devise and implement an innovative, transformational, and relevant artistic strategy for one of America’s oldest, most distinguished choruses. His/Her/Their strategy will be in line with MCC’s mission, vision, and values as a leading organization within the field of choral music. The Artistic Director and Conductor will be a visible leader and ambassador who oversees all artistic activities. This individual will also serve as the principal conductor for rehearsals, artistic retreats, and a variety of performances. Reporting to the Chair of the Board of Directors, and working in partnership with the Executive Director, the Artistic Director and Conductor will guide the planning and execution of an artistic vision that: advances MCC’s mission; develops strategic alliances; cultivates commissioning concepts; engages exemplary guest artists; and mentors and builds morale among singers who have varying levels of experience and education in music. This individual will represent MCC at cultural events and participate in donor cultivation activities, press and community relations events, and board meetings.
Mission: One of this country’s oldest choruses, Mendelssohn Club of Philadelphia performs choral music to create a shared transcendent experience among its singers and audiences. Through the excellence of its adventurous performances, Mendelssohn Club advances the development of choral music as an art form.
Core Values: We believe in…
- Taking artistic risks that stretch and challenge our singers and our audiences.
- Supporting the talent, passion, and dedication of our singers, and the powerful communal experience that comes from shared music making.
- Respecting the commitment and appreciation of our audience members.
- Ensuring Mendelssohn Club’s long-term stability as an important cultural resource in our region and as an influence in the world of choral music.
Roles and Responsibilities
Artistic Vision and Planning
- Create, communicate, and implement an artistic vision consistent with MCC’s long-range plan, values, and reputation.
- Develop repertoire for three to four concerts annually and serve as principal conductor for all rehearsals and performances. Prepare the chorus for contracted engagements.
- Identify and secure guest artists who complement MCC’s mission and vision.
- Initiate the commissioning of new works and arrangements and secure agreements from composers, arrangers, and orchestrators in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Lead, appoint, manage and support the artistic staff and volunteers, with a focus on developing and achieving operational goals.
- Engage in artistic, fiscal, audience and donor development as a member of the Leadership Team.
Production and Operational Implementation
- Plan season programs in advance, coordinate and rehearse all performance and production elements in coordination with the Executive Director, and prepare descriptive copy for promotional campaigns as appropriate.
- Devise and implement a process to recruit, audition, select, supervise and mentor artistic personnel, including associate conductors, apprentices, volunteer singers, and core (paid) singers.
- Develop fundraising messages with the Executive Director and participate in fundraising, marketing, and community events as appropriate.
- Cultivate major individual, corporate, and foundation gifts as appropriate. Embrace other public and donor cultivation responsibilities as needed.
- Maintain the Chorus’s connections, presence and visibility with major national choral, compositional and funding organizations (e.g. Chorus America, ACDA)
- Serve as ex-officio member of the Board of Directors and prepare monthly or bi-monthly reports to the Board.
- Participate in the creation of the annual operating budget and expense forecasting with the Executive Director, reporting both to the Board.
- Operate within the financial limitations established by the annual operating budget and resources, adjusting if the situation requires.
- Strengthen the voluntary culture of MCC by working and meeting with board members, the Chorus Management Council, the personnel manager, and the music librarian.
- Embrace other budgeting, administration, and human resources responsibilities as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: Outstanding artistic accomplishments as a choral conductor and concert programmer. Corresponding professional-level instrumental conducting expertise. Ability to attract, inspire and retain gifted, committed singers of varying ages and experience to consistently achieve professional-level performances. Demonstrated capacity to broaden diversity and community representation for members of the chorus and its repertoire. Advanced academic preparation in music OR equivalent professional experience emphasizing performance and organizational leadership. Experience and interest in commissioning and performing new works.
$45,000-$55,000 (relocation expenses not reimbursed)
APPOINTMENT DATE: July 1, 2020
INSTRUCTIONS: Send a cover letter and curriculum by email to:
Chair, Artistic Director & Conductor Search Committee
Mendelssohn Club Chorus of Philadelphia
Subject: AD Search
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY MEDIA, LINKS, RECORDINGS, PUBLICATIONS OR PRESENTATIONS UNTIL REQUESTED.
Mendelssohn Club of Philadelphia is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.