Church Music Director
If music pours forth from your soul,
In a way that makes you feel whole,
Your gifts we are needing.
Please do keep reading!
We can sing to you in your new role!
We are looking for a music director who embraces the idea that music embodies an important part of the ministry of our church. We have a small but skilled choir that brings their souls to practice and the services, in order to share with the congregation the transforming and healing power of music.
First Parish Church of Kingston, Massachusetts, seeks a Music Director. The position is part-time and requires a commitment of an average of 10 hours a week from mid-August through mid-June. Candidates are invited to learn more about the Congregation and Unitarian Universalist theology at our website at http://kingstonuu.org/
Music Director’s Job Description
The Music Director leads and performs music in worship services and other congregational programs. The Music Director:
- Directs small, musically experienced choir in weekly rehearsal and performance for Sunday worship
- Recruits volunteer choir members, professional soloists and other instrumentalists
- Plans the music schedule for the year including special services such as Christmas Eve, Music Sunday, and fundraising events
- Supports and expands congregational participation in music, including occasional children’s participation
- Consults with the Director of Family Ministry in developing opportunities for including children in the music program
- Participates in Music Committee Meetings, Worship Committee Meetings, and Staff Meetings.
- Meets/consults weekly with the Minister
- Manages the maintenance of the piano, organ, other instruments and the music library
- Plans music budget with the music committee
- Reports to and is supervised by the Minister; collaborates with her, the Worship and Music Committee, and staff.
- Recruits and supervises vocal intern(s) as needed
We seek a creative, talented, energetic musician who inspires joyful music making. The ideal candidate will have many of these professional and personal characteristics:
- Experience as a music or choir director
- Advanced keyboard skills and performance experience; other instruments, including organ, or voice a plus
- Knowledge across many genres of music
- Ability to build rapport with community
- Appreciation of different perspectives and willingness to seek common ground
- Organized work style, with the ability to adapt as new challenges arise
- Self-motivated to work independently, but also comfortable collaborating in team settings
- Degree in music or equivalent experience preferred
The salary range is $11,000 to $14,000, commensurate with experience and proficiency.
- Right of first refusal to coordinate music for weddings, memorials, etc
- Membership dues paid in Association of UU Music Ministries (https://www.auumm.org/)
- Professional development funds provided
Please submit a resume, cover letter, professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to
First Parish Church
Attn: Music Director Search Committee
222 Main St
Kingston, MA 02364