The Young People's Chorus of New York City seeks a full-time Conducting Fellow to conduct YPC’s in-school choruses in New York City Public Schools and YPC’s Community Programs, and to assist and prepare the award-winning YPC After-School Choral Literacy and Performance Program. The Conducting Fellow will work with the artistic team to create and produce curriculum, evaluations, and concerts and will assist in program administration and special projects. This position also includes ongoing training with YPC Founder/Artistic Director Francisco J. Núñez and Associate Artistic Director Elizabeth Núñez. Position will begin in August 2019. YPC offers an attractive compensation package, which includes a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package.
The award-winning Young People’s Chorus of New York City (YPC) is a world-renowned youth chorus founded in 1988 by YPC Artistic Director and MacArthur Fellow Francisco J. Núñez. YPC is comprised of nearly 2,000 children between its core after-school ensembles, two community programs and 21 public schools. The YPC mission is to provide children of diverse abilities and ethnic backgrounds with a unique program of music education and choral performance that seeks to fulfill each child’s musical potential, while creating a model of artistic excellence and harmony that enriches the community. YPC presents and participates in more than 100 performances per season. For more information, please visit www.ypc.org.
competetive annual salary with benefits
- Bachelor of Arts (required) or Master’s (desired) degree in choral conducting or music education
- Experience conducting and teaching
- Piano competency
- Knowledge of and competence in conducting all styles of music
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work as a member of a large and diverse team
- Desire to work in multiple environments
Application must include:
- Cover letter
- Video recording (YouTube or Dropbox preferred) including:
- A one to two minute self-introduction
- Conducting or teaching footage (not to exceed 10 minutes) of:
- Warm-ups in the rehearsal setting
- Front view of conductor rehearsing 2 pieces of contrasting styles
- One letter of professional reference with contact e-mail and phone number
Electronic submissions desired; cell phone video quality acceptable. Please clearly mark all application materials with first and last name. Video links should include a table of contents outlining material incorporated such as repertoire and composers.
Please send materials to:
Young People's Chorus of New York City
37 West 65th Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10023