Thank you for your interest in employment as the Artistic Director/Conductor of the Virginia Choral Society. Please find more detailed information below.
The Virginia Choral Society (VCS), an IRS 501 C-3 corporation, is seeking an Artistic Director/Conductor who has a passion for preparing and presenting a wide variety of choral music to the Tidewater community. The VCS, home-based in the City of Newport News, Virginia, is one of the oldest continuously performing choral organizations in Virginia and was organized in 1931. We are a community-based choral group of approximately 100 voices that presents three major concert series each year; a fall, winter holiday season, and spring series. Our concert series vary in musical genres to appeal to diverse audiences and to allow the greatest possible outreach into our community.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A related degree in choral conducting and training in music education.
- Expertise and experience in conducting a full SATB choir and, when indicated, a small orchestra or other musical ensembles.
- Demonstrated ability in developing choral skills and musicianship.
- Effective interpersonal skills and rehearsal management skills.
- Ability to recruit, train, and maintain chorus membership.
- Expertise in developing concert programs that appeal to diverse audiences and engage chorus members who may have varying musical tastes and levels of ability.
- Expertise in planning thorough and well-organized rehearsals that enthuse and motivate singers. Facility in working with singers of varying musical backgrounds.
- An engaging public presence during concerts.
Expectations of the Artistic Director/Conductor:
- Reports directly to the Board of Directors, specifically the Managing Director.
- Selects appropriate music for all concerts taking the ability of the choir and concert length into consideration, also considering music presented in past performances and the local audience. During the selection of music, consultation with the Program Committee and Assistant Director/Accompanist is expected.
- Plan and conduct all rehearsals and performances to assure the highest level of skill and professionalism during performances.
- Conduct auditions and select new singers. Educate and motivate singers; maximizing their potential in musicianship and voice production.
- Collaborate actively with the Assistant Director/Accompanist to maximize rehearsal time; collaborate in the selection of guest musicians and soloists.
- Provide and review program notes for each concert in a timely manner.
- In collaboration with the Chorus Council, ensure a system of regular communication that will articulate and reinforce expectations for the chorus members.
- Maintain close communication with Board of Directors of the VCS through attendance at monthly meetings and/or submission of a complete and thorough Artistic Director’s report prior to scheduled meetings.
- Use technology effectively to disseminate information, rehearsal aids, and other information relative to the VCS.
- Be available for the occasional public relations requirements that may come up from time to time including radio, press, and television interviews.
The Artistic Director position is a part-time position that currently includes a 2-½ hour weekly rehearsal from early August to early May along with fall, Christmas, and spring concerts. Salary is negotiable based on education and experience and is paid over 12 months on the last day of the month.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and also provide the names and contact information for a minimum of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Finalists will participate in an interview and will also conduct a rehearsal as a part of the selection process. Applications must be received by Friday, March 29, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Please visit our website at http://vachoralsociety.org/ to learn more about us. We can be reached by telephone at 757-851-9114 extension 5. The VCS is an equal opportunity employer.