Director of Development
The Indianapolis Symphonic Choir seeks an exceptional and experienced individual to serve in the critically important role of Director of Development. As a member of the Choir’s senior management team, and reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development will establish and achieve annual fundraising goals totaling approximately $750,000. The Director of Development will work with an engaged and dedicated Board of Directors to design, implement, and develop the funding resources necessary to support the Choir’s mission. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts, together with proficiency in team management and program building. The position manages a contracted grant writer.
- Develop and implement annual fundraising plan, based on different giving levels, across the donor life cycle. (e.g. prospects, early donations, major gifts, endowment and legacy gifts).
- Research and identify best practices to expand the donor database.
- Plan and oversee all fundraising activities, including annual fund campaign, corporate sponsorships, planned giving, endowment, and special events
- Develop and implement strategies to meet the Indianapolis Symphonic Choir's general operating, endowment, planned giving, and special project funding priorities
- Working with Executive Director and key members of Board, cultivate and solicit individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies capable of making major annual gifts, as well as planned and endowment gifts
- Implement a comprehensive donor stewardship program including acknowledgement plan, donor recognition events, and donor communications. Establish quarterly goals for direct interactions with donors. Accurately record significant interactions in database.
- Develop close working relationships with individual donors, foundations, government agencies, and corporations in Indianapolis and beyond
- Attend Indianapolis Symphonic Choir events regularly to nurture and grow relationships with donors and prospects
- Collaborate with various board committees, including Development, Endowment, and Gala
- Plan, implement and manage major events (e.g. season opening, gala). Provide post-event analysis, including financial report and plan for guest stewardship.
- Oversee a contracted grant writer and ensure applications and reports are accurate, complete, and delivered on-time. Perform research to identify, qualify and contact eligible foundations for new funding opportunities.
- Pull and review reports from donor database to ensure donor information, engagements, pledges and gifts, are accurately recorded
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree and at least three years development experience – ideally in the arts
- Knowledge of classical music and music education strongly preferred
- Experience with the Indianapolis philanthropic community desirable
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience with PatronManager database preferred
- Team player with positive attitude, patience, focus, and resolve
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, strong organizational skills, impeccable attention to detail, and technological savvy
- Systems-oriented with superior project management skills, ability to set and meet deadlines
- Strong social and interpersonal skills, a high energy level, unquestioned integrity and discretion, a passion for the mission, and a good sense of humor
Compensation is commensurate with experience and qualifications and includes a competitive benefits package.
Please send cover letter and resume to: (phone inquiries will not be accepted)
Liam Bonner, Executive Director
Indianapolis Symphonic Choir
4600 Sunset Ave., Lilly Hall A040
Indianapolis, IN 46208
Or via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org