Manager of Choruses
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Manager of Choruses organizes and manages all activities of the May Festival Chorus, May Festival Chamber Choir, May Festival Youth Chorus, and Vocal Arts Ensemble Chorus. Responsibilities include managing chorus personnel and operations and maintaining productive and supportive relationships among the artistic partnership organizations, chorus directors and chorus members.
- In coordination with the relevant staff from the May Festival, Vocal Arts Ensemble and Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, manage the scheduling of, and be present for, all chorus services, including auditions, warm-ups, rehearsals and concerts, at Music Hall, Memorial Hall and other venues. Organize and distribute schedules and pertinent information to chorus members and staff, including all updates and changes.
- Research and book suitable venues for non-Music Hall and non- Memorial Hall rehearsals and performances. For all venues, and as needed, create seating charts, facilitate parking and facility access, schedule piano tuning, ensure proper rehearsal and performance space setup. During concerts, facilitate the staging of the chorus, including working with production and operations staff to ensure timely entrances and exits. and perform any other production-related tasks.
- Manage all chorus personnel issues. Inform chorus members of and ensure compliance with scheduling, rules of attendance and other membership-related policies. Prepare and maintain accurate rosters and attendance records for every rehearsal and concert. Maintain awareness of and inform chorus directors about all personnel issues, including absences, illnesses and special needs. Facilitate completion of contracts for and payment to paid singers.
- Under the direction of the chorus directors, hire and oversee pianists and language coaches.
- Forecast and prepare operating budgets.
- Coordinate and proctor chorus auditions, and oversee the orientation of new singers.
- Manage music acquisition and distribution with the music librarians, maintain chorus websites, and maintain and distribute concert wardrobes.
- Oversee the production and acquisition of May Festival Chorus at-home rehearsal materials, including audios of music and foreign-language pronunciation, and translations. Ensure these materials are available on the Chorus website by July 1 for Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra performances and no later than four (4) weeks after the finalizing of May Festival repertoire.
- Act as a representative of and advocate for all May Festival and VAE choruses in scheduling and production-related meetings.
- Provide general operational and administrative support to the chorus directors.
- Provide support, as needed, to the May Festival Chorus Committee and for any performances outside Greater Cincinnati.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the chorus directors, the General Manager or the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 3-5 years of directly relevant and equivalent work experience, including as an ensemble manager.
- Knowledge of classical choral and choral/orchestral repertoire.
- Experience in personnel management, including the ability to work effectively with volunteer and paid singers.
- Skilled at organizing, multi-tasking, long-term planning and anticipating and preventing or solving problems.
- Able and willing to work a flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends at Music Hall and at offsite locations.
- Proficient in planning and managing budgets.
- Responsive, communicative and calm under pressure.
- Skilled in word processing, database management, HTML and spreadsheet applications.
A Commitment we value: The May Festival is an Equal Opportunity Employer whose commitment to inclusion is fundamental to who we are as an organization. Reflecting our community and the world around at every level – on stage, behind-the-scenes, and in neighborhoods throughout the region — is essential to the May Festival’s present and future and makes us a stronger chorus and institution. We encourage underrepresented candidates to apply.
The Chorus Manager position garners a competitive salary. The May Festival offers generous benefits including; medical, dental, long term disability, life insurance, health savings account contribution, 403(b) participation with employer contribution, up to 12 weeks paid maternity leave, flex time and the opportunity to work for an artistically thriving and financially stable nonprofit organization.
To apply please send cover letter and resume to:
Please put “Manager of Choruses” in the subject line.