Music Director Position Now Open
The Arizona Repertory Singers is an auditioned ensemble of singers from greater Tucson. Since 1984 this choir has developed an extensive repertory and prides itself on presenting high quality performances of the standard repertoire and new music. Our community of singers, selected through a rigorous audition process, represents a variety of work life careers in business, education, engineering, information technology, law, medicine, social service, science and the arts.
In preparation for its upcoming 36th season, ARS is seeking a new Music Director to begin in July 2019. For additional information on the Arizona Repertory Singers, including a
35-year history of the organization, please visit http://www.arsingers.org/.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
● Teach, inspire, encourage, and challenge singers and audiences from diverse musical backgrounds.
● Provide vision for the continued artistic and organizational growth of the ensemble.
● Develop a fine choral product by consistently teaching and modeling sound vocal pedagogy.
● Recruit and retain singers. Hold auditions in August and January of each year (as needed).
● Conduct one rehearsal per week (2.5-3 hours) beginning in late August or early September 2019.
● In consultation with the ARS Board, select a program for concerts in December 2019 and spring of 2020.
● Provide musical and historical context of repertoire for singer and audience enrichment.
● Write program notes in a timely fashion to appear in ARS concert programs.
● Represent ARS as a spokesperson for promotion, fundraising, and development purposes.
● Serve on the Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
● Organize and lead the ARS annual fall choral retreat.
● Commit an average of 12 hours/week to ARS activities.
● Advanced degree in choral conducting or equivalent professional experience; instrumental conducting experience desired.
● Prior successful experience conducting adult choral ensembles.
● Vocalist with extensive understanding of vocal pedagogy.
● Basic piano skills.
● A thorough understanding of choral repertoire.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested parties must submit the following application materials electronically by
March 26, 2019:
● Cover letter.
● Resume or C.V.
● Three letters of recommendation, including contact information.
● Hyperlinks to video recordings of the applicant’s conducting in: 1) a rehearsal setting, and 2) a performance setting. The camera should be facing the conductor. Videos must be dated and the ensemble and works performed identified.
Incomplete submissions or submissions received after March 26, 2019 will not be accepted.
Send materials electronically to email@example.com addressed to:
Mr. Ken Rosenblatt, Chair
Music Director Search Committee
Arizona Repertory Singers
P.O. Box 41601
Tucson, AZ 85717
Questions pertaining to the application process may be addressed to Mr. Rosenblatt at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (520) 792-8141.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.