BVS Women’s Choir Artistic Director BVS Women’s Choir, a 501c(3) choir based in Park Slope, Brooklyn seeks a new artistic director for the 2019-2020 season, for a one-year contract, subject to renewal. The artistic director provides the artistic vision of the choir and is responsible for the leadership and direction of its performances. This position reports to the board of directors. BVS meets on Monday nights, 7-9pm in Park Slope. The choir has regularly scheduled performances in Brooklyn, at the end of each semester (in December and in mid April) plus other performances as they arise. BVS holds auditions twice per year, in September and January. The artistic director position is part-time, including weekly rehearsals and preparatory time for rehearsals and concerts, September - early-mid December and January - early-mid April. BVS Women’s Choir is a 45-member multigenerational group dedicated to excellence in choral singing. Our mission is to enrich our members and audiences by performing a diverse repertoire, with an emphasis on female and contemporary choral composers. Throughout its 18-year history, BVS Women’s Choir has become a musical community of its own. Responsibilities
- Provide overall artistic leadership and direction to the choir.
- Supervise all artistic aspects in the choice of repertoire and selection of venues.
- Supervise all rehearsals and concerts.
- Work with the choir, the board, and volunteers to promote a positive atmosphere of community within the organization.
- Network with other arts organizations, music directors, and community groups to increase the visibility of the Chorus and to encourage collaboration.
- Conduct auditions twice annually.
- Select and acquire scores for chorus, soloists, and guest instrumentalists.
- Provide practice tracks for choir members.
- Write program notes for each concert.
- Solicit run-out concerts.
- Attend all board meetings and report to the board members regarding the status of the artistic programs and projects; participate in strategic planning; collaborate with committees and board in developing marketing campaigns and publicity for BVS.
- Develop annually a comprehensive artistic plan in collaboration with the board that provides the basis for the annual budget.
- Participate in fundraising activities; collaborate in the preparation of grant applications.
- Serve as the official spokesperson for BVS.
- Participate in musical and professional organizations.
- BA or Advanced Degree in Music with an emphasis in choral conducting or equivalent conducting experience (minimum 4 years preferred).
- Experience conducting or working with a community-based chorus and with singers of various musical skills and experience.
- Ability to foster community with a well- developed sense of humor.
- Interest in and commitment to embracing the mission of BVS.
- Ability to offer strong leadership skills as well as to balance work within a team setting.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
Please visit us at: www.bvswomenschoir.org.
Applicants are invited to submit a letter of interest (including rehearsal philosophy), resume, and three video recordings (links preferred) demonstrating rehearsal and conducting skills to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 8, 2019. Your email subject line should read “BVS Director Search.”