Our Chorus Operations Survey is the most comprehensive source of data available on choruses and the choral field. The information gathered helps choruses make better decisions about programming, budgeting, staffing, and other management practices.
With the 2018 Chorus Operations Survey Report (COSR), this important resource begins a new chapter. Through a partnership with DataArts, the leading arts and culture research organization, the COSR is now an even more powerful tool. With this partnership, Chorus America joins colleagues at Opera America, the National Guild for Community Arts Education, and other national service organizations in contributing to research that will benefit the arts in communities everywhere.
The 2018 COSR uses an increased number of charts to display information in new ways. It contains more comprehensive detail about finances and staffing and how choruses compare to other kinds of arts organizations.
How to Use the Chorus Operations Survey Report
COSR data can help your chorus make important decisions and start conversations with key stakeholders. The more your supporters understand about how your chorus operates, the more invested they will be in your work. Here are some suggestions:
- Review how your chorus’s management practices compare to other choruses of your type and budget size.
- Share a section of the report with your board before your next meeting to spark a discussion.
- Considering making a specific change, like an updated board giving policy or higher ticket prices? Use this data as a starting point.
- Pull out three interesting facts to share with choristers at an upcoming rehearsal.
- All organizations that participated in the survey can access free analytic reports on the DataArts platform. Instructions for logging in and accessing these reports are on p. 2 of the COSR.
The Chorus Operations Survey also captures compensation information for administrative and artistic leaders, singers, and accompanists.
Chorus America provides compensation information for artistic and administrative leaders of choruses within general budget ranges, as well as accompanist and singer information in aggregate, to our members. Access our General Compensation Reports:
- Budgets up to $100,000
- Budgets of $100,000-$250,000
- Budgets of $250,000-$500,000
- Budgets of $500,000-$1,000,000
- Budgets over $1,000,000
Chorus America can also provide a customized report targeted more closely to your budget range. This report includes benefit information provided to compensated employees. The fee per report is $25 for members; $100 for nonmembers. Request a Customized Compensation Report here.