The Arizona Masterworks Chorale (AMC) has been bringing great music to the state for over 40 years. The Chorale’s members are skilled volunteer singers, many with professional choral experience, and our library of over 400 classical and contemporary titles spans a multitude of musical styles. We’re continually updating our repertoire with new and challenging works.
The Music Director is responsible for the overall musical excellence of the Chorale and leads the company’s artistic vision and activities. Through their skill, artistry, and leadership, the Music Director sets and maintains the highest artistic standard in music preparation and performance to inspire Chorale members and to engage, entertain and educate AMC’s diverse audiences. We are seeking to ll the position as soon as possible to begin planning for the 2021-22 concert season.
- Perform the duties of the Music Director described in the AMC By-Laws, and work with the Board of Directors develop and sustain AMC’s mission, vision, and strategic plan (By-Laws are available on the AMC website)
- Plan AMC concert season productions, including themes, repertoire, and budgets
- Plan, prepare, and conduct rehearsals and performances of by the Chorale in a professional working environment with standards of vocal quality and conduct for all members
- Provide status reports at regular meetings of the AMC board of directors
- Support AMC’s presence and outreach in the community
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced Music degree (preferably in choral conducting) from an accredited program, or a Bachelor’s of Music degree with equivalent choral conducting experience
- Strong knowledge of choral repertoire with concentration on classic and contemporary “masterworks”
- A professional résumé and CV documenting leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, and at least five years’ experience in directing choral ensembles
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated experience working with Boards of Directors and other non-profit organization artists and volunteers
The Music Director is an independent contractor (1099-based) reporting to the AMC Board of Directors. Details of the engagement, including term, compensation, and scope of work, will be defined in a negotiated agreement.
Send all application materials to the AMC Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Call AMC at (623) 252-0790 with questions
AMC asks all candidates to provide the following for initial review:
- A letter of interest and professional résumé/CV documenting training, work experience, and previous programs conducted
- Any additional materials to support the application, including but not limited to letters of reference; recordings of performances conducted; descriptions of music arranged or composed; examples of writings such as blogs, columns, or program notes.
Interview and Audition Process
- The AMC Search Committee will review all applications; qualified candidates will be invited to a screening interview with the Committee (to be conducted online via Zoom).
- Following the screening interview; selected candidates will be asked to present themes and concepts for AMC concerts over two seasons.