Artistic Director/ Conductor
Artistic Director and Conductor (ADC)
The Bakersfield Master Chorale (BMC) is a non-profit (501.3-c) community chorus serving the metropolitan Bakersfield region. We are seeking to fill our Artistic Director position ahead of our next performance season (fall 2021 - spring 2022). We are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated Choir Director to provide musical guidance and direction to our choir members.
BMC's Mission: To enrich our community with choral music.
BMC's Vision: The Chorale will be fun, challenging, and rewarding with a commitment to musical excellence in both repertory and performance. The Chorale will provide events, primarily concerts of consistently high quality and value. The Chorale will engage donors, benefactors, sponsors, and patrons professionally and with gratitude for their investments and support.
The Bakersfield Master Chorale is a choral society of adult voices previously directed by Dr. Robert Provencio and affiliated with the Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra. We usually sing with the Symphony at least one time per season.
The Chorale is a non-profit educational organization, and is Bakersfield’s only mixed adult choral group governed locally by a board of directors operating under a constitution and by-laws.
The Chorale performs portions of Handel’s Messiah each Christmas. It has also recorded several albums, audio tapes and CD’s. The Chorale has completed five European tours.
The most recent tour was March 2019 when the Chorale participated in the Windy City Choral Festival. No donor contributions were used to underwrite the tour. It was self-supported by Chorale members and guests.
Chorale singers and board members represent a broad cross-section of the community, ranging in age from college students to retired adults. Membership ranges from 75 to 100 or more singers. Chorale members’ occupations include such diverse fields as education, medicine, agriculture, service industries, legal, oil and homemaking.
The Artistic Director and Conductor of the Bakersfield Master Chorale is directly responsible to the BMC Board of Directors (Board). The requirements of the Artistic Director and Conductor fall within five key areas, outlined below.
1. Provide artistic direction and leadership to help achieve BMC's vision.
2. Annually develop a comprehensive artistic plan that provides the basis for the budget, fundraising, and planning.
3. Select repertoire and present recommendations for the next concert season to the Board by April for use in developing the next fiscal budget.
4. Advise the Board on all artistic aspects of BMC. Attend and participate in Board meetings as often as possible, as an ex-officio member.
1. Establish and coordinate all artistic elements of BMC musical production. This requirement includes the selection of repertoire and production of performances. Selected repertoire should:
- Reflect BMC's mission and vision
- Attract and retain a broad spectrum of community audiences
2. Work closely with the Board; especially the Producer, to establish the basic conditions for performances to occur. This includes:
- Recommending and securing concert dates and venues
- Arranging for a pianist
- Auditioning and selecting soloists and instrumentalists, within budget parameters
1. Prepare and conduct the chorus, soloists, and instrumentalists for all public and private appearances of BMC
- Prepare for and conduct weekly BMC rehearsals; advise the Board if additional rehearsals are required
- The Board and Artistic Director may periodically agree to retain a guest conductor to perform any or all of these duties. Details will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
2. Occasional Tours as mentioned earlier take place either USA based or internationally. Tours are self-funded by the members attending. The Artistic Director is also encouraged to attend and tour costs can be negotiated with the Board of Directors and the tour company used.
1. Recruit, audition, and select chorus singers for BMC
2. Periodically conduct vocal assessments of BMC members to determine their continued ability to contribute to BMC artistic goals
1. Take part in promotional opportunities (broadcast and print media) to increase BMC's visibility and reputation.
The Board of Directors will annually review the Artistic Director and Conductor's performance of assigned duties and responsibilities and base its consideration for the renewal of this appointment on these findings. This job description will be the basis for the annual performance review.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS and SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- M.A. required; PhD preferred
- Experience conducting high school, college-level or community choruses preferred
- Experience conducting orchestras (helpful as the musical selection warrants)
- Ability to work with singers of varying skill levels
Compensation and Time Base:
Commensurate with qualifications and skills as noted above. This position is a part-time, 12 month position.