The Peninsula Women’s Chorus (PWC) is seeking an experienced and dynamic Artistic Director who will have the overall responsibility for artistic leadership of this award-winning community ensemble, established in 1966.
The PWC currently rehearses Monday evenings from August to May in Palo Alto, California. The PWC performs, primarily from memory, two musical seasons in addition to special concert events such as the biennial New Music for Treble Voices festival, performances at fundraisers, and tours every 3-5 years.
The PWC aims to fill the position with a start date of Fall 2020 but would also consider an interim Artistic Director.
ABOUT THE PENINSULA WOMEN'S CHORUS
The Peninsula Women’s Chorus inspires and enriches its singers and audiences through the creation and performance of diverse and adventurous music.
For more information, please visit our website at https://pwchorus.org/about-pwc/mission/.
The Artistic Director (AD) provides the artistic vision for the chorus and is responsible for the leadership and direction of every aspect of performances by the chorus. The AD reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for all aspects of the music program, including:
- Provides overall artistic leadership and direction to the chorus and guest musicians
- Leads all rehearsals, retreats, public appearances, recordings, tours, and collaborations with other arts organizations
- Prepares repertoire at least one year in advance for holiday and spring concerts
- Auditions and makes decisions on selection and retention of singers
- Collaborates with and manages accompanist
- Oversees selection of and provides guidance to artistic and concert production personnel
- Leads outreach programs and performances
- Leads all recording activities
- Leads selection of venues, with input from the Board
Board of Directors Communications
- Presents to the Board the artistic direction and current status of artistic programs and projects
- Attends committee meetings (e.g., funds and audience development) to represent the artistic leadership perspective
- Is a key stakeholder and provides input on the strategic planning process
- Serves as the lead artistic representative for the chorus, including media appearances
- Leads the PWC in community outreach and national/international activities that further the name recognition and mission of the chorus
- Collaborates with the Board and the Marketing committee on promotional campaigns and the artistic message for the chorus
- Annually develops a comprehensive artistic plan in advance of the budget, in collaboration with the Board and the Finance committee
- Follows the approved annual budget for all PWC programs
- Collaborates in the preparation of grant applications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Music/Choral Conducting, or equivalent professional experience with choral conducting
- Excellent musicianship, conducting, and vocal pedagogy skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work with and motivate a team of diverse and dedicated singers, staff, and volunteers
- Able to communicate effectively and collaborate with singers, Board of Directors, supporters, and the community at large
- Experience conducting women’s or treble voice choirs a plus
Commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should send a resumé and links to work samples such as past concert programs, rehearsal plans, video recordings of rehearsals and/or concerts to email@example.com.
Finalists will be asked to audition by conducting one or more rehearsals with the chorus.