Naples Philharmonic Youth Chorus Director
The Naples Philharmonic Youth Chorus (NPYC) provides young singers performance opportunities on Hayes Hall stage alongside the Naples Philharmonic and at distinct community events. Founded in 1998, the nearly 100-voice NPYC includes singers in elementary, middle and high school. NPYC rehearses in groups divided by age and ability on Monday evenings on the Artis—Naples Cultural Campus.
Auditions/Interviews will occur during the 20-21 season with the winning candidate starting in Fall, 2021.
Interim director(s) will be named for the 20-21 season.
5-6pm: training chorus (students approximately ages 7-13)
6-7pm: select chorus (students approximately ages 12-18)
7-7:30pm: chamber chorus (most advanced students auditioned out of the select chorus)
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
• Recruit, audition, and prepare ensembles of youth singers, both male and female/changed and unchanged voices, committed to a high standard of excellence.
• Musically prepare the Youth Chorus to suit performance requirements.
• Conduct and direct all rehearsals to achieve desired effects such as tonal and harmonic balance, dynamics, rhythm, tempo and diction, utilizing knowledge and ability of choral conducting techniques as well as vocal pedagogy and healthy singing techniques.
• As needed conduct Naples Philharmonic Youth Chorus performances.
• Advise and collaborate with the Chorus Accompanist and any volunteers.
• Keep informed of trends and general activities of other choruses through relevant organizations and publications.
• Advise the Executive Vice President, Artistic Operations on programs and repertoire selections.
• Collaborate with the Director of Education and Community Partnerships for administrative details such as season schedule of rehearsals and events at Artis—Naples and in the community.
• Collaborate with the Artistic Operations team for technical preparation for concerts and events.
• Collaborate with additional Artis—Naples team members for additional events when the chorus (or portion of the chorus) will perform.
• Observe safety requirements. Report safety issues and items requiring work orders to Supervisor or Security.
• Work effectively with all Artis—Naples team members.
Education and/or Experience
• Master’s degree in Music or related field, preferably with an emphasis in choral conducting or equivalent conducting experience.
• Three-five years’ experience conducting or working with a community-based youth chorus and with young singers of various musical skills and experience, both changed and unchanged voices.
• Knowledge of classical and popular orchestral repertoire at the student and professional levels. (For example: transcriptions and arrangements as well as original scores.)
• Knowledge of general teaching /educational skills.