The City Choir of Washington (TCCW) announces its search for a new Artistic Director, who will begin at the start of the 2021-2022 season. TCCW is an auditioned choir of 120 experienced volunteer singers who reside in the greater Washington metropolitan area. TCCW is recognized as one of the area’s leading symphonic choruses performing the classical choral repertoire. TCCW seeks to help singers, audience members, and the community at large to discover the rich musical and cultural heritage of choral music. Through performances, educational and community outreach programs, and a commitment to spotlighting emerging American soloists, TCCW aims to help develop the next generation of performers and audience members. TCCW is currently led by Grammy-winning conductor Robert Shafer, who will retire in June 2021, at the end of the 2020-2021 season. Maestro Shafer will then assume the position of Artistic Director Emeritus.
The Artistic Director is responsible for setting the artistic vision and providing leadership to achieve TCCW’s mission and future growth. The Artistic Director reports to and works closely with the Board of Directors. Duties include:
- Plan varied and diverse programs for the season in line with the financial possibilities stipulated by the board
- Audition and rehearse volunteer singers and lead the choir in public performances. TCCW performs 3-4 concerts per season between September and June and rehearses on Monday nights in the District of Columbia. Additional rehearsals are held during concert week and on an as-needed basis.
- Select, train, and rehearse orchestras and soloists to perform with TCCW, as appropriate for the repertoire being presented
- Attend regular board meetings and collaborate closely with the board on governance, fundraising, and marketing
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited program in music or related field
- An advanced music degree (in choral conducting or a related field) preferred
- Residence in the greater Washington metropolitan area preferred
- Sustained and demonstrated success in directing a chorus of similar size with similar artistic goals preferred
- Sustained and demonstrated success supporting the financial/business success of past choral groups
- Experience conducting a variety of works with choir and orchestra
- A thorough knowledge of choral repertoire with experience in planning and executing concert programs
- Ability to work with adult voices and to develop the vocal proficiency of the choir
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- A desire to be a collaborative leader in the greater D.C.-area choral and music community
The minimum starting salary for this part-time position is $50,000. Compensation commensurate with experience and qualification, subject to budget limitations. The position does not offer benefits.
To apply, please send the following materials via email to the City Choir Artistic Director Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Receipt deadline for applications is Friday April 24, 2020.
- Cover letter
- CV (PDF format)
- Names and contact information for three professional references
After initial review, the search committee will contact selected candidates in May to schedule telephone interviews. Selected candidates will also be invited to propose a four-concert program for TCCW’s 2021-2022 season and to submit a video/audio clip of a choral performance they conducted. Finalists will be contacted in August or September 2020 to schedule auditions with the choir and possibly additional interviews. TCCW aims to identify the Artistic Director Designate by January/February 2021.
Applicants should contact Benjamin Tsai, TCCW President, at email@example.com, with any questions.