Director of Cleveland Orchestra Children's Choruses
The Cleveland Orchestra is currently seeking a Director of the Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Choruses, who will prepare the Children’s Chorus for all performances, both with and without The Cleveland Orchestra, and oversee the Assistant Director/Director of the Children’s Preparatory Chorus.
The Cleveland Orchestra Children's Choruses are treble ensembles affiliated with The Cleveland Orchestra. The Children's Chorus (COCC), open to students in grades 6 through 9, performs annually on Cleveland Orchestra Christmas concerts and major orchestral works at Severance Hall. The Preparatory Chorus (COCPC), open to students in grades 5 through 8, focuses on establishing a foundation of vocal technique, music literacy, and musicianship.
The Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Chorus currently meets once weekly for two hours. Additional evening rehearsals are required in weeks with orchestra services for subscription concerts. The Preparatory Chorus meets once weekly for 90 minutes. A typical season begins in September and ends in mid-May. The Children’s Chorus is also occasionally called upon to perform major symphonic works in the summer months at Blossom Music Center.
The responsibilities of this part-time position include the following:
- Recruit, audition, and train singers to achieve the highest artistic level.
- Prepare Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Chorus for all performances, including those with The Cleveland Orchestra.
- Consult with the Director of Choruses as appropriate to ensure that the preparation of the COCC and COCPC is in accordance with the performance conductor’s musical interpretation and wishes.
- Prepare and conduct Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Chorus rehearsals.
- Conduct Children’s Chorus performances as requested by MAA.
- Collaborate with MAA staff to plan the Children’s Chorus season, including identifying performance opportunities outside of Severance Hall, and with other Cleveland Orchestra choral ensembles.
- Select repertoire for Children’s Chorus performances.
- Promote and further the Children’s Choruses programs under the guidance of the Director of Choruses.
- Supervise and guide the work of the Assistant Director of the Children’s Choruses, who also holds the position of Director of Cleveland Orchestra Children’s Preparatory Chorus (COCPC).
- Participate in outreach programs in the Greater Cleveland area in order schools to raise general music awareness.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Broad knowledge of choral/orchestral repertoire.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the developing voice, healthy vocal production, and dynamic choral rehearsal techniques.
- Experience working with young singers.
- Experience preparing or performing in a symphonic or orchestra chorus preferred.
- Advanced music degree.
- Positive, professional attitude in the execution of the responsibilities of the position.
Please apply through our website at https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/About/Auditions-and-Careers/Staff-Employment/. Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- Three letters of recommendation
- A link to a video recording primarily demonstrating a choral rehearsal with young singers. Performance footage may also be used, but entire video should be no more than 20 minutes long. The video should provide a frontal view of the candidate.
UPDATE: We realize that recent school closures may prohibit the recording of recent videos. We do not want this to impede the application process. If you have older videos of a similar nature or audio of previous performances, you may submit them instead. If you have any questions or concerns about the video submission, please contact Jill Harbaugh at email@example.com. The previously scheduled finalist audition on April 25th has been cancelled.