Naples Philharmonic Chorus Director
The 100-voice Naples Philharmonic Chorus participates in both pops and classical concerts each season with the Naples Philharmonic orchestra, including the orchestra’s popular Holiday Pops and Patriotic Pops programs.
Founded in 1991, this volunteer group is made up of singers of all ages and backgrounds. Each chorus member devotes an average of 200 volunteer hours to rehearsals and concert performances between September and May.
Auditions/Interviews will occur during the 20-21 season with the winning candidate starting in Fall, 2021.
Interim director(s) will be named for the 20-21 season.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
• Recruit, audition, and prepare ensembles of singers committed to a high standard of excellence.
• Musically prepare the Naples Philharmonic Chorus to suit performance requirements.
• Conduct and direct all Naples Philharmonic rehearsals to achieve desired effects such as tonal and harmonic balance, dynamics, rhythm, tempo and diction, utilizing knowledge and ability of choral conducting techniques as well as vocal pedagogy and healthy singing techniques.
• As needed conduct Naples Philharmonic Chorus performances.
• Advise and collaborate with the Chorus Accompanist and any volunteers.
• Keep informed of trends and general activities of other choruses through relevant organizations and publications.
• Advise the Executive Vice President, Artistic Operations on chorus programming and repertoire selections.
• Collaborate with the Director of Education and Community Partnerships for administrative details such as season schedule of rehearsals and events at Artis—Naples and in the community.
• Collaborate with the Artistic Operations team for technical preparation for concerts and events.
• Collaborate with additional Artis—Naples team members for additional events when the chorus (or portion of the chorus) will perform.
• Observe safety requirements. Report safety issues and items requiring work orders to Supervisor or Security.
• Work effectively with all Artis—Naples team members.
Education and/or Experience
• Master’s degree in Music or related field, preferably with an emphasis in choral conducting or equivalent conducting experience.
• Three-five years’ experience conducting or working with a community-based adult chorus and with singers of various musical skills and experience.
• Knowledge of classical and popular orchestral repertoire at the student and professional levels. (For example: transcriptions and arrangements as well as original scores.)
• Knowledge of general teaching /educational skills.