Choral Conductor/Music Director
The Polymnia Choral Society of Melrose is accepting applications for the position of Conductor/Music Director for the season beginning September 2020. This position will be filled by June.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Directing at all rehearsals and concerts
- Auditions and voice placement for all members
- Selection of music for the current season and for one year in advance
- Hiring of musicians and soloists
The conductor coordinates with the Music Committee on choice of music and venue, and works within a budget mutually determined within the Board. The conductor is a member ex officio of the Board of Directors and is expected to attend meetings of the Board as requested.
The annual schedule includes three concerts, occurring in December, March, and late May or early June. Rehearsals are held weekly, with at least one dress rehearsal at each venue. Concerts include music appropriate to the holiday season, classical works, and lighter Pops-style music. In addition the conductor may be asked to participate occasionally in community events with selected members of the chorus.
This is a paid position with compensation commensurate with the experience of candidates and with the required duties. In addition to resumes, candidates should be prepared, if requested, to submit sample programs from previous concerts, three professional references, and if possible videos, tapes, or CDs. Finalists will be asked to audition at a regular Polymnia rehearsal. Polymnia is an equal opportunity employer.
Copies of previous Polymnia programs can be obtained by email in doc format.
The Polymnia website is at http://www.Polymnia.org
The mission of Polymnia Choral Society is:
- To promote the knowledge and enjoyment of a broad range of good choral music and to provide a wider access to that music;
- To afford an opportunity for the people of Melrose and surrounding communities to sing sacred and secular choral music of high quality;
- To present concerts and occasional other performances for the enjoyment of the public;
- To develop among the singers and the broader public of our communities an appreciation of fine music and high standards of choral work
Compensation is by salary only, no benefits as this is a part-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience as a choral director.
Please submit resumes by Friday, February 14 to:
Polymnia Choral Society
P.O. Box 82
Melrose, MA 02176
Resumes may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org