Vivace Youth Chorus of San José is seeking a dynamic individual who is passionate about children’s music education and choral excellence as Artistic Director. This person will foster a program that develops children’s love of music and growth as musicians. They will oversee the full chorus and the teaching staff, as well as set the musical direction and theory program.
Vivace provides youth with the opportunity to experience the power and poetry of song in an inclusive, co-educational, and nurturing environment that fosters community, confidence, and artistic growth and creates awareness of our participants’ cultures and shared human experience. Vivace does this by offering a quality musical education for all youth, regardless of their economic, cultural, educational, and other backgrounds.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a vision for the chorus that shows commitment to children’s musical and personal growth through choral music education at a high level.
In cooperation with the Executive Director, the Board, staff, and volunteers, the AD will be expected to enable the community that is Vivace to thrive, while continuing to grow its connections to the wider community of the South Bay. The AD will need to have a thorough knowledge of a children’s chorus and repertoire and will have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Serve as the artistic visionary and musical leader and manage all collaborations, performances, concerts, and tours
- Direct the management of all performances (community and formal), concerts, rehearsals, collaborations, and tours; Work to ensure that the performing schedule is complete and balanced
- Teach and conduct one or more levels of the choir, including the production of lesson plans, teaching both music and theory, preparation for performances, leading the performances, and providing end-of-year assessments
- Oversee advancement criteria and educational goals for each choir’s singers in collaboration with the artistic staff
- Coordinate repertoire selections among the various choirs; Identify and hire guest musicians and ensure costs are within budget
- Cultivate opportunities to collaborate with other arts organizations
- Maintain artistic growth through membership in arts organizations and attendance at workshops and conventions as appropriate (e.g. ACDA, CMEA)
- Oversee the artistic health and growth of the Chorus in accordance with the Chorus’s mission, vision, operating budget, and strategic plan
- Provide support and work collaboratively with Board members to establish an operating plan and budget to execute the artistic vision
- Supervise selection of artistic staff and accompanists and mentor their performance to ensure a high level of music education and artistry; Hold regular staff meetings
- Work with staff and Board members to ensure timely dissemination of information and materials for the successful implementation of program and concert season
- Maintain, in coordination with artistic staff, good communication with parents and singers, including regular meetings as needed
- Attend Board meetings and provide regular reports to the Board
- With the Executive Director, serve as Vivace’s public ambassador and enthusiastically promote Vivace’s mission; Support marketing and development initiatives.
- Participate in operations planning regarding the numbers and types of choirs, rehearsal schedules and locations
- Foster relationships with ED, office staff, Board members, volunteers; Supervise artistic staff and contracted instrumentalists
- Participate in singer recruitment efforts and manage placement auditions
- Supervise the maintenance of music distribution, music library and archives of past performances
- Bachelor’s degree in music; master’s degree in music or musical arts with an emphasis in choral conducting or equivalent conducting experience preferred
- Knowledge and significant experience in the use of Kodály method
- Piano/keyboard skills
- Professional standard and dynamic understanding of the child’s voice, language, diction, and diverse musical styles
- Experience in conducting and vocal pedagogy; Working knowledge of languages
- Proven success in leadership, organization, and long range artistic and strategic planning
- Excellent communication skills with children, audiences, administrative and artistic staff, parents, and community members
- Charismatic with ability to motivate singers as well as artistic staff and Board members; builds consensus
- Satisfactory background check
This is an hourly, part-time position with a flexible schedule to include nights and weekends.
In order to apply, email your CV/resume and a letter of introduction with a brief overview of accomplishments that are relevant to this position and provide any other information that might better explain why you feel you are a great fit for the position to email@example.com. Visit our website www.vivaceyouthchorus.org for more information.
Those selected for second phase interviews may be asked to submit audio or video representation of work, sample programs, highlights from repertoire, and references. Top candidates will be asked to participate in at least one rehearsal.
Submission of candidacy will be held in confidence. Finalist will be announced at the end of the 2019-2020 season.