The Chorus Master is an artistic leader in the organization and a key member in both the CPO’s artistic and
administrative team. The Chorus Master is responsible for leading the Calgary Philharmonic Chorus, an
integral artistic program of the CPO, and collaborating with/advising the Music Director on choral
performances and other choral and vocal artistic considerations. This role also has an administrative
component, actively communicating on schedules, programs, library, venue bookings, long-term projects,
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Direct chorus rehearsals, sectionals, warm-ups, auditions, performances of the Calgary Philharmonic
Chorus, and prepare the chorus for appearances with Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra;
- Attend orchestra/chorus rehearsals liaising with Music Director or conductor on artistic considerations;
- Regularly communicate with chorus and CPO administration, including recommending venues,
consulting with the CPO librarian and Chorus librarian to acquire music, securing visiting experts for
workshops, etc., and advise on the Calgary Philharmonic’s multi-year artistic planning;
- Masters or Doctoral degree in choral conducting or equivalent professional and musical experience, with
extensive experience conducting and preparing choral ensembles in both large-scale choral/orchestral
as well as unaccompanied works;
- Excellent community relations and evidence of strong connections within the Canadian and
international choral community;
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and build positive working relationships;
- The Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra is an equal opportunity employer;
- Preference will be given to individuals who are currently permitted to work in Canada;
Deadline: 20 December 2019
Please send cover letter, CV, and two video samples (maximum 20 minutes) of conducting in rehearsal and
performance to: email@example.com with the e-mail subject line ‘Chorus Master’.
Please also include media clippings and up to five printed programs from previous performances.
We thank you for your interest in the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra and Calgary Philharmonic Chorus.
Successful candidates will be invited for an audition and interview in early 2020.