Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington, DC
Federal City Performing Arts Association d/b/a the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington, DC (GMCW) seeks applications for the part-time position of Assistant Conductor. Responsibilities include Director of its outreach ensemble Seasons of Love (SOL), to provide artistic leadership and vision for the ensemble. GMCW seeks a targeted start date of January 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington, DC is one of the premiere TTBB choruses in the country. Now in its 39th season, GMCW has performed in venues all over the Washington region, across the nation, and internationally. Our home in the nation’s capital provides GMCW regular opportunities to perform in events of historical and political significance. With 250+ volunteer voices and an annual budget of $1.1 million, GMCW presents a wide range of musical styles during its five-concert season. Additionally, as a part of GMCW’s mission to sing as a voice of equality to connect multiple communities, members of the Chorus participate in 100+ community and school events each year. GMCW is home to several outreach ensembles: Potomac Fever, Rock Creek Singers, Seasons of Love, 17th Street Dance, and GenOUT Chorus, Washington area’s first ensemble for LGBTQ+ and allied young people ages 13-18.
Seasons of Love is a 15-member outreach ensemble of the GMCW, founded in 2015 with the mission to celebrate and promote social justice advocacy through soulful music that inspires, strengthens, and unites our community. The ensemble performs throughout the greater Washington area for community events and religious services, and in main stage performances with GMCW.
About the Position
The successful candidate will have thorough knowledge of choral music, with emphasis on the gospel and inspirational music genre, and proven experience conducting and teaching a volunteer chorus. They will have the ability to take the ensemble to a unique, innovative, and consistently high level of artistry. It is expected they will work in a collaborative environment with GMCW staff, the Board of Directors, and will be a part of the greater Washington, DC and national arts and LGBTQ+ communities.
The Assistant Conductor will:
- Attend weekly GMCW rehearsals (Sundays, 6:00-9:00 PM, September – June) and be familiar with its repertoire for the purpose of subbing rehearsals and performances as necessary
- Rehearse a selection of repertoire in weekly SOL rehearsals (Tuesdays, 7:00-9:00 PM, September – June) for main stage and outreach performances, and conduct the ensemble as necessary
- Provide a positive and affirming musical experience for the chorus members at rehearsals and performances
- Be knowledgeable about TTBB repertoire, and have the ability to create new arrangements
- Work with volunteer leaders
- Select soloists and instrumentalists for SOL as needed
- Audition potential new singers for SOL
- Work with other musical and artistic organizations in collaborative efforts
- Engage multiple communities through programming and outreach efforts
- Lead long-term artistic planning, collaborating with GMCW’s Artistic Director as it pertains to programming
Keyboard skills a plus.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, Curriculum Vitae and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. GMCW does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, gender, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran. Final applicants will be subject to a background check.