The Choral Director is responsible for the overall programming and concert development for the Lutheran A Cappella Choir of Milwaukee. The Choral Director plays a significant role in the sustainability of the LAC. The Choral Director along with the Board of Directors, guides the development of the LAC musical programming, outreach, concert promotions, member appeal development in the spirit of the Lutheran A Cappella Choir – “Glorify the Triune God by offering the finest sacred music from over the centuries”.
RESPONSIBILITIES -- REQUIRED
- Plans and directs the programming of the LAC including development of two concert seasons - Christmas and Spring.
- Recruits, auditions and accepts members of the LAC including proper voicing for the music selected and consideration of blend, vocal quality and balance.
- Assists in recruiting new choir members and building a pipeline for future singers.
- Qualifies accompanists and provides input on their selection, working with the LAC Board
- Auditions, selects, and rehearses any external soloists and instrumental musicians needed for each concert and negotiates appropriate payment with LAC Board approval.
- Organizes and communicates dates, times and locations for auditions. Provides information regarding the expected musical abilities and preparation required for auditions.
- Researches new choral music and techniques both locally and nationally.
- Researches and shares proposed concert programming with the LAC Board one full season ahead of the anticipated performances.
- Upon Board approval, plans, orders, and prepares the music to be performed for two scheduled concerts each fiscal season.
- Makes recommendations for rehearsal and concert sites for the coming season. This includes recommendations, outreach, and site visits to area churches and concert venues and related logistics.
- Determines a rehearsal schedule for each season and shares that information with the choir. Plans and leads all regularly scheduled rehearsals (and special rehearsals as necessary) or provides an appropriate substitute in the case of an emergency. Shares timely rehearsal feedback with the choir and informs the choir of the upcoming rehearsal plan.
- Conducts regularly scheduled rehearsals including appropriate warm-ups and sectionals, working with the LAC accompanist. Plans and manages the overall rehearsal season toward the goal of readiness for a dress rehearsal on the Tuesday evening prior to the concerts.
- Assists with the development of concert printed programs including historical and musical insights on each musical selection.
- Serves as a permanent non-voting member of the LAC Board of Directors and attends quarterly Board meetings.
- Supports and participates in LAC related events and activities as appropriate.
- Researches and secures additional performance or marketing opportunities for the LAC outside of its regularly scheduled concert seasons, with Board approval.
- Actively promotes the LAC and incorporates its meaning into programming and performances.
RESPOSIBILITIES -- PREFERRED
- Works with the performance venues on logistics, sound, lighting, and coordinates related logistics such as riser transport, set-up and return.
- Assists with program and poster design. Recommends additional digital and web-based communications to promote the concerts.
- Identifies development opportunities for choral focused conferences and seminars
- Explores new marketing and audience development opportunities and presents ideas for these to the Board
- Previous professional, church-based or school-based choral music directing experience.
- Degree in Music or proven related experience.
- Exceptional musicianship and leadership skills.
- References from prior choral conducting experience.
- Familiarity with sacred and classical choral music and current trends.
- This position reports to the LAC Board of Director
- This position is paid on a monthly basis throughout the LAC fiscal year (July – June)
- This position, generally, is offered a one-year contract, renewing each year in July.
- This position is issued a 1099 and choir director is responsible for paying all appropriate State, Federal, and Social Security and Medicare Taxes, etc.
- Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume outlining qualifications for this position. Yearly salary expectation is also required. Will accept resumes until December 31, 2019. Qualified candidates will be contacted in January 2020 for face-to-face interviews. Please send your information to - Lois Socol - President - Lutheran A Cappella Choir of Milwaukee to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The LAC will be performing two Christmas concerts - Friday, December 6 and Sunday, December 8. Details about these concerts can be found on our website: https://www.lutheranacappella.org/. Interested candidates are encouraged to attend one of our upcoming concerts to learn about and hear our fantastic choir!!
- It is anticipated that this position will start in June 2020 prior to the beginning of our new fiscal year which runs July 1 - June 30.