Big Apple Performing Arts
Job Title: Associate Conductor
About Big Apple Performing Arts
Big Apple Performing Arts is the non-profit management company for New York City Gay Men’s Chorus (NYCGMC) and Youth Pride Chorus (YPC). With forty years of history, innovative programs, and service to the LGBTQ community, BAPA is renowned for producing legendary performances, commissioning new works, and taking a leading role in the movement for social justice. Through the power of song and cutting-edge performances, we are fearless champions for love, equality, and acceptance. From Carnegie Hall to City Hall, from the AIDS crisis to the struggle for marriage equality, as well as today’s gender and identity politics, the choruses of BAPA have been leaders and activists in the New York City community since 1980.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
The Associate Conductor (AC) plays an integral role in creating the artistic and programmatic vision for NYCGMC and BAPA. The AC leads BAPA’s emerging youth programming within schools, finding new ways to create meaningful experiences for NYCGMC’s membership and the wider LGBTQ+ and NYC communities. Because the youth and schools programming is still developing, the AC role has the potential to expand with the programming. Working at the intersection of the arts, advocacy, and the LGBTQ+ community, the AC position is uniquely situated to provide meaningful and important experience in the fields of musical direction and conducting, youth programming, and education.
- Assist the Artistic Director and Music Advisory Committee (MAC) team in programming and music selection for each concert
- Assist in the creation and management of all musical performances
- Attend weekly chorus rehearsals, tech week rehearsals, and performances
- Rehearse and conduct selections as assigned by Artistic Director
- Conduct sectionals and catch-up rehearsals
- Conduct full rehearsals and performances in the absence of the Artistic Director
- Coordinate with the Artistic Director to discuss and plan the rehearsal and performance schedule
- Assist in securing music licensing, arrangements, and commissions
- Assist with all auditions
- Conduct performances outside of the major season performances in collaboration with the Artistic Director
- Play piano as needed when principal accompanist is unavailable
- Work with Artistic Director to further develop NYCGMC’s existing Youth Program, bringing LGBTQ+ awareness and discussion to schools through enriching musical experiences
- Work with Artistic Director to develop new initiatives and programs to expand the work of NYCGMC, programming meaningful experiences for youth, creating safe spaces for them, and facilitating discussion about LGBTQ+ communities
- Coordinate and lead these programs
- Serve as the main contact person between NYCGMC and schools / venues in the New York metro area where Youth Program performances will occur
- Coordinate Youth Program performances including communication with singers (sign ups, event details, singer hospitality), venue production needs (risers, piano, sound system, video, etc), curriculum guides, and pre and post evaluation tools
- Develop materials and methods to improve the effectiveness and reach of NYCMGC’s Youth Program(s)
- Assist Artistic Director and Executive Director in coordinating other group performances outside of regular season concerts
Other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in music, preferably with a focus in vocal/choral music
- Experience conducting large choral ensembles
- Skills as a pianist/accompanist
- Knowledge of vocal pedagogy
- Experience or qualification in curriculum development
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Desire to make a major difference in a vibrant organization that supports a resilient LGBTQ community
- Working knowledge of New York’s vibrant arts, LGBTQ, and education communities
- A successful track record in cultural project management, either in a programmatic or support capacity
- Service-minded: open, patient, communicative, and passionate about BAPA’s mission
- Motivated to represent BAPA in the field
Salary range is $15,000-25,000, commensurate with experience and skills, for a 30% time position (approximately 12-15 hours per week). Requires weekly attendance at Monday evening rehearsals, and at least one Saturday per month. Other hours are flexible, contingent on scheduling programs and gigs. Some evenings and weekends required. Position is retirement plan eligible.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the address below. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please list: ‘Associate Conductor Search’ in the subject line.
Position start date: January 1, 2020
BAPA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, BAPA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leaves of absence, compensation and training.