About Bella Voce
Bella Voce (beautiful voice) is the original choir of the Sing Out Loud! choral organization. Bella Voce gives young women in 9th - 12th grades the opportunity to make music at the highest level, while focusing on outreach, women’s empowerment and their core values. Bella Voce has traveled regionally all over the Midwest and has made international appearances in Austria, Czech Republic and Slovakia (2009), Italy (2012), and toured all over Europe in 2015. This 2015 tour included a performance at the Melk Abbey and a collaboration at the Kodály Institute. In 2012 and again in 2017 Bella Voca was invited to sing for The National American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) at their national conference. Bella Voce was also featured on Minnesota Public Radio’s (MPR) “Taste of the Holidays” broadcast and compilation CD three years in a row, an honor usually offered only to professional groups and adult ensembles. Bella Voce continues to raise the standard for high school women’s choirs musically and beyond. The Bella Voce girls love singing with and getting to know both alumni and their younger Bella sisters. They cherish outreach, community and of course, singing for all audiences.
Compensation commensurate with experience
Sing Out Loud! is seeking a vibrant Artistic Director who is comfortable working with young women and is prepared to collaborate with the choristers to uphold high standards of excellence in singing. The ideal Artistic Director must be a highly skilled communicator and have a passion for women's empowerment and outreach. The Artistic Director will drive musical and artistic decisions and performances, and collaborate with the choir’s staff to plan, market and promote performances among our growing audience and wider arts community in the Twin Cities, Midwest and nationally. The ideal candidate will recognize that our singers are lifelong learners who wish to continue learning about the art and science of singing, vocal technique, intonation, tone production, diction and vowels. The Artistic Director will prepare for weekly rehearsals and bring a positive, energetic, consistent, collaborative, and genuine spirit to rehearsals and concerts.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Manage the Chorus administratively and artistically
- Conduct the Bella Voce Young Women’s Choir in all performances and regular weekly rehearsals (Sunday evenings)
- Select and program performance material that is both challenging and appropriate to the artistic goals of the organization;
- Plan and execute an annual performance schedule including primary concert series (December and May), collaborations and outreach performances;
- Audition and select chorus members, section leaders and soloists
- Attend monthly Board of Director meetings and assist with operating plan and budgets
- Excellent musicianship and knowledge of singing/conducting/rehearsal technique and choral repertoire
- Minimum education: Bachelor’s degree in music or a related field
- 5+ years of experience directing/working with a choir
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with young singers
- Keyboard proficiency desirable but not required
Applications must be submitted by Wednesday, January 15, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must include:
- Cover letter;
- Resume or Curriculum vitae with three references; and
- Sample video or digital sound recording from a recent rehearsal OR performance (10 minutes max)
For more information about Sing Out Loud! and Bella Voce, please visit: www.singoutloud.org