Director, Seasons of Love
Federal City Performing Arts Association d/b/a the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington, DC (GMCW) seeks applications for the part-time position of Director of its outreach ensemble Seasons of Love (SOL), to provide artistic leadership and vision for the ensemble. GMCW seeks a targeted start date no later than November 4, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until September 27.
The Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington, DC is one of the premier TTBB choruses in the country. Entering its 38th season, GMCW has performed in venues all over the Washington region and across the nation. Our home in the nation’s capital provides GMCW regular opportunities to perform in events of historical and political significance. With 250+ volunteer voices and an annual budget of $1.1 million, GMCW presents a wide range of musical styles during its five-concert season. Additionally, as a part of GMCW’s mission to sing as a voice of equality to connect multiple communities, members of the Chorus participate in 60 community and school events each year. GMCW is home to several outreach ensembles: Potomac Fever, Rock Creek Singers, Seasons of Love, 17th Street Dance, and GenOUT Chorus, Washington area’s first LGBTQA+ ensemble for ages 13-18.
Seasons of Love is a 15-member outreach ensemble of the GMCW, founded in 2015 with the mission to celebrate and promote social justice advocacy through soulful music that inspires, strengthens, and unites our community. The ensemble performs throughout the greater Washington area for community events and religious services, and in main stage performances with GMCW.
About the Position
The successful candidate will have thorough knowledge of choral music of the gospel and inspirational music genre, and proven experience conducting and teaching a volunteer chorus. They will have the ability to take the ensemble to a unique, innovative, and consistently high level of artistry. It is expected they will work in a collaborative environment with GMCW staff, the Board of Directors, and will be a part of the greater Washington, DC and national arts and LGBT communities.
The Director will:
- Rehearse a selection of repertoire in weekly rehearsals (Sundays, 4-5:30 pm, September – June) for main stage and outreach performances, and conduct the ensemble as necessary
- Provide a positive and affirming musical experience for the chorus members at rehearsals and performances
- Be knowledgeable about TTBB repertoire, and have the ability to create new arrangements
- Work with volunteer leaders
- Select soloists and instrumentalists as needed
- Audition potential new singers
- Work with other musical and artistic organizations in collaborative efforts
- Engage multiple communities through programming and outreach efforts
- Lead long-term artistic planning, collaborating with GMCW’s Artistic Director as it pertains to programming
Keyboard skills a plus.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, Curriculum Vitae and references to email@example.com on or before September 27, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. GMCW does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran. Final applicants will be subject to a background check.