September 24th, 2014
Having a business continuity plan in place can help protect your chorus, and enable you to get up and running again as soon as possible.
The unexpected, won't-happen-to-me, I-don't-want-to-think-about it actually does happen. That's the message that ArtsReady, a readiness, response, and recovery web-based platform wants to communicate to arts organizations. From major storms like Hurricane Sandy to a cancelled concert due to a suspicious package left outside your venue, disasters come in all shapes and sizes. Having a business continuity plan in place can help protect your chorus, and enable you to get up and running again as soon as possible.
Creating or updating your business continuity plan might sound like an overwhelming project, but it doesn't have to be. September is National Preparedness Month, which means now is the perfect time to get started with these five easy tips from ArtsReady, some of which only take a few minutes to complete.
- You’ve likely had changes in the names and/or contact information for your staff, board and key volunteers. Make sure you have an updated phone/personal email tree to reach everyone speedily in the event of emergency, and that you have an “In Case of Emergency” contact for each individual (here’s a sample from the ArtsReady Library).
- Professional Development – attend ArtsReady workshops and get one-on-one consulting on readiness at this fall’s Western Arts Alliance, Arts Midwest and Performing Arts Exchange conferences.
- Download handy mobile apps that will help you keep tabs on bad weather, respond in first aid/emergency situations, or be aware of police activity in your area.
- Take a tour of your facility, making sure that alarms, fire extinguishers, emergency signage and other safety devices are easy to see, operational and current.
- Join ArtsReady. A Premium Membership gives you access to an online planning tool, cloud-based critical information storage, online training opportunities and more.
Chorus America has partnered with ArtsReady to make planning for potential disasters even easier. Chorus America member organizations can join ArtsReady for a 50 % discount on their first year of premium membership - just use discount code chorus14 when you enroll. An ArtsReady membership will provide risk assessment, a self-paced action plan, cloud-based critical data storage, and a Battle Buddy Network for proxy support from other arts organizations. You can also sign up for a Basic Membership, which give you access to the ArtsReady newsletter and recovery and response updates.