San Rafael, CA
03 Nov 2017
15 Nov 2017
Mayflower Chorus, located in San Rafael California, is currently seeking a dynamic interim Music Director to lead the chorus from January 2018-May 2018, with potential for a continued future leadership position in the organization. We are looking for a creative leader, with experience conducting medium-sized, volunteer, nonprofit choruses to direct and provide ongoing artistic and musical leadership for our 60+ member mixed community chorus. The group is a quality non-auditioned community chorus pursuing the next level of excellence in the performance of a variety of music genres.
About the Mayflower Chorus
Now in its 38th season, the Mayflower Chorus is the performing ensemble of the Mayflower Choral Society, a non-profit organization devoted to supporting the educational and cultural benefits of musical performance to its members, the North Bay Area community and its audiences. The Chorus has grown in membership by over 50% in the past three years, and continues to increase its audience size and support from the community.
The Mayflower Chorus is overseen by an active Board of Directors, with day to day activities coordinated by a volunteer chorus administrator.
Mayflower’s typical season includes three performances in Marin County each winter and spring. Performances are accompanied by piano, frequently with guest artists and instrumentalists.
The Mayflower Chorus rehearses on Tuesday nights, 7:30-10:00 PM, in San Rafael. We invite all candidates to become familiar with our organization and learn more about us by visiting our website at http://www.MayflowerChorus.org
About the Position
This is a part time position and the successful candidate will work with the chorus, the Board, and other related parties as an independent contractor. Compensation range will be negotiated and based on level of experience and qualifications.
The Music Director provides overall artistic direction and leadership to the Mayflower Chorus. The Musical Director reports to the Mayflower Choral Society Board of Directors but retains significant autonomy over artistic vision and direction.
RequirementsResponsibilities of the Music Director include:
- Develop the musical and artistic vision for each season, in keeping with the Chorus mission
- Select a theme for the season and identify appropriate repertoire
- Availability to lead Tuesday evening rehearsals between February and early May 2018, and to prepare and direct May performances.
- Provide forthright, honest and respectful feedback to singers (collectively and individually) and accompanist to ensure preparation for performance
- Provide overall supervision for accompanist, soloist and guest artist preparation and performance
- Hold singers and self to high standards
- Occasional availability to direct the chorus in other community outreach performances, events or fundraising activities
- Supervise assistant director and accompanist
- Work closely with the chorus administrator to coordinate rehearsal schedules, select appropriate venues, and other combined artistic/administrative tasks
- Integrate new singers into the chorus in keeping with the artistic/musical vision for Mayflower’s size and desired sound
The successful candidate will be able to possess and/or demonstrate a combination of the following experience and skills:
- Experience and solid reputation conducting vocal ensembles or choruses
- Undergraduate degree in music/conducting, or equivalent experience with appropriate choral conducting experience, providing artistic direction for vocal ensembles or choruses
- Familiarity and experience with a wide variety of types of music; Broadway, American songbook, classical, jazz, spirituals, pop and current hits.
- Leadership and artistic creativity in developing innovative programming to suit the chorus and its audience
- Ability to remain within seasonal chorus budget
- Experience coaching vocal technique and performance
- Strong general teaching skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to encourage musical excellence in an environment of differing levels of musicianship in a positive manner
- Ability to plan and execute a chorus season based on a theme
- Strong network of colleagues across the musical community
- Some experience in composing and arranging is desirable
Candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and a resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than November 15, 2017. Please reference Mayflower Director Position in email subject line.
Please submit questions or information requests to email@example.com
See job description
See job description