06 Sep 2017
St. Benedict's Episcopal Church
15 Oct 2017
Experienced, Professional Director of Music
St. Benedict’s Episcopal Church, Smyrna, GA
Year-round, full-time position starting as soon as November 2017 and no later than Advent 1, Sunday, December 3, 2017, ideally familiar with the liturgy, traditions and practices of the Episcopal Church.
1) Direct adult and children’s choirs, as integral parts of the liturgy to support congregation during worship. The music director will be a member of the ministry team participating in weekly staff meetings, annual music planning and budgeting, and with liaison responsibilities to the music program at our day school
2) Four-day-per-week job includes being the parish organist/pianist
3) In addition to being a fine musician, the desired candidate must have excellent leadership, communication and teaching skills and experience
4) Competitive salary/benefits package including health insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, and continuing education and professional leave at the discretion of the rector. This position reports directly to the rector
5) Church instruments include Allen digital organ, Steinway grand piano, Schulmerich handbells, Orff tone chimes. Our Sanctuary has excellent acoustics for choral and instrumental music.
6) 9-year old parish with 1,300 members
St. Benedict’s, a vibrant, nine-year old parish with a preK-8 school of 500 students and 1300 members. It is an open and inclusive community with people of all ages and background. Its music ministry has grown quickly to where we have an accomplished parish choir, youth and children’s choirs that sing and play handbells and tone chimes.
There are many diverse outreach programs into the community with one of the goals to become a center of fine sacred and secular music in this growing Atlanta suburb. The rector understands the balance between the artistic, non-secular and sacred nature of our music ministry and in doing so, has established a collaborative, respectful and open environment for our church musicians. We also have an active ‘Friends of Music’ group that encourages and supports the music director in expanding the impact of our musical talents for the church and community.
Competitive salary/benefits package including health insurance, paid vacation, sick leave, and continuing education and professional leave at the discretion of the rector.
Please email your resume, availability and a cover letter explaining how you would contribute to the music ministry of our church to our parish administrator, Betsy Shuford before 10/30/17: email@example.com.