06 Sep 2017
St. Benedict's Episcopal Church
15 Oct 2017
Experienced, Professional Choir Director
St. Benedict’s Episcopal Church, Smyrna, GA
Year-round, part-time position starting as soon as November 2017 but no later than Advent 1, Sunday, December 3, 2017, ideally familiar with the liturgy, traditions and practices of the Episcopal Church.
1) Conduct adult and children’s choirs, as integral parts of the liturgy to support congregation during worship. The choir director will hire weekly organists, to accompany the choir. The director will be a member of the ministry team participating in staff meetings when possible, annual music planning and budgeting, and will liaise with the music program at our day school.
2) Two or Three day per week responsibilities including children’s choir one evening a week and Sunday morning choir rehearsal and worship.
3) In addition to being a fine conductor, the desired candidate must have excellent leadership, communication and teaching skills and experience
4) Church instruments include Allen digital organ, Steinway grand piano, Schulmerich handbells, Orff tone chimes. Our Sanctuary has excellent acoustics for choral and instrumental music.
5) 9-year old parish with 1,300 members
St. Benedict’s, a vibrant, nine-year old parish with a preK-8 school of 500 students and 1300 members. It is an open and inclusive community with people of all ages and backgrounds . Its music ministry has grown quickly to where we have an accomplished parish choir, youth and children’s choirs that sing and play handbells and tone chimes.
There are many diverse outreach programs into the community with one of the goals to become a center of fine sacred and secular music in this growing Atlanta suburb. The rector understands the balance between the artistic, non-secular and sacred nature of our music ministry and in doing so, has established a collaborative, respectful and open environment for our church musicians. We also have an active ‘Friends of Music’ group that encourages and supports the music director in expanding the impact of our musical talents for the church and community.
Please email your resume, availability and a cover letter explaining how you would contribute to the music ministry of our church to our parish administrator, Betsy Shuford before 10/15/17: email@example.com.