14 Jul 2018
St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Capitol Hill
31 Aug 2018
Boys & Girls Choir Director (part-time), St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, Capitol Hill, Washington, DC.
Overview of the Position:
To provide leadership for the St. Mark’s Episcopal Church Boys & Girls Choir (open to children in grades 1-8) and to prepare them for participation in Sunday morning services 1-2 times per month from September through June. This position starts in September 2018.
• Bachelor’s degree in Music (or in-progress)
• Demonstrated musical ability on a primary instrument or voice
• Basic keyboard proficiency and sight-reading skills
• Interest in teaching children music
• Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
• Interest working in an open, questioning, and progressive faith community. While it is not necessary for applicants to be Christian, it is important that they respect the traditions of the Episcopal Church.
Approximately 2-3 Sundays per month from early September through early June:
• Work with the Director of Music (DOM) to select varied and appropriate choral music for the season
• Plan and lead the Boys & Girls Choir rehearsal (usually every other week from approximately 11:00 am to 12:30 pm with a break)
• Lead the choir at the 9:00 service (about once per month), warming up and rehearsing them beforehand
• Regularly communicate and foster a positive relationship with the parents, DOM, and other volunteers
• Help with the organization of choral music and folders as necessary
• Treat children with kindness and respect while remaining firm regarding behavioral issues
Salary: $4,000 per year, paid in monthly installments
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume, via e-mail, to the Director of Music, Jeff Kempskie, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
St. Mark’s is located at 301 A St., SE in Washington, DC, adjacent to the Library of Congress and a short walk from the U.S. Capitol building. The church is about a 9-minute walk northeast of the Capitol South Metro station and a 16-minute walk south of Union Station.