Bass Section Leader
ELGIN MASTER CHORALE
SECTION LEADER JOB DESCRIPTION
Reports to: EMC Music Director
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Music Director in rehearsals and serve as substitute director when needed.
- Meet periodically with the Music Director and/or Artistic Development Committee chair(s) to
a. discuss strengths and weaknesses of the section, review improvement plan progress, and revise as needed;
b. review section leader’s performance;
c. address questions regarding the music for their section.
- Conduct sectional rehearsals from the keyboard as needed.
- Work with each singer in their respective section as needed.
- Assist section singers with music markings.
- Spot-check scores of individual singers.
- Assist the Music Director and Artistic Development Committee in evaluating singers.
- Advise the Music Director on the need for additional sectional rehearsals.
- Assist the Music Director with educational outreach activities and opportunities.
- Sing minor solos as assigned and serve as understudy for guest soloists as requested.
- Assist in communicating with section members outside of rehearsals if needed.
- Bachelor of Music degree or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience in teaching voice, conducting sectional rehearsals, and/or singing in a professional ensemble desired.
- Strong vocal technique.
- Excellent sight-reading ability.
- Sufficient piano skill to play a single vocal part.
- Knowledge of diction in English, Latin, German, French, and Italian.
- Ability to inspire and support the singers in their assigned section.
- Ability to attend all rehearsals and performances.
- Some daytime availability for educational outreach is desired.
- Thorough understanding of and ability to assist with rehearsal and concert etiquette.
- Ability and willingness to maintain and extend the Music Director’s vision within and outside the chorus.
- Comfortable in a shared leadership environment.
Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org