Job Description:ASSOCIATE CONDUCTOR
Job Commitment:Full Time
Last Revision Date:June 1, 2018
The Savannah Children's Choir is growing. For twelve seasons SCC has been dedicated to its mission to unite, mentor, and transform Savannah's children into responsible, creative and confident leaders through excellence in choral performance and music education. We seek to offer life changing educational opportunities, including travel, to all children, regardless of family income. SCC performs a wide array of music, from sacred to gospel to jazz and beyond. Our performances range from concert halls with orchestras to synagogues, iconic cathedrals, and ball parks. SCC runs a two-week summer camp, staffed by college music and choral majors, which serves as a primary recruitment vehicle for the Choirs.
About the Savannah Children’s Choir
Founded in 2006, the Savannah Children’s Choir is a nonprofit, community supported organization. The Choir boasts five different choirs with membership of over 125 children from Kindergarten to 8th Grade, and its new Coastal Youth Chorus in Bluffton, South Carolina. SCC follows a robust curriculum emphasizing music literacy, sight-reading skills, vocal technique, and performance opportunities.
The SCC has a community recognized tradition of excellence and enjoys successful and long-standing partnerships with the Savannah Philharmonic, the Hilton Head Symphony, the Savannah Arts Academy and community music groups.
SCC Organization and Governance
The SCC has a voluntary Board of Trustees with nine Trustees, including a Chairperson, Treasurer and Secretary. Additional Full-time staff include an Executive Director (and Co-Founder), and a Managing Director. Interns and contract conductors are utilized strategically to conduct certain of the various Choirs.
Scope of Work
An Associate Conductor of Savannah Children’s Choir:
- Leads engaging and productive weekly rehearsals for assigned Choirs (Monday -Tuesday afternoons.
- Is responsible for developing, coordinating, and supervising music programs for assigned choirs in collaboration with Artistic Director and Managing Director.
- Serves as lead conductor for certain assigned Choirs.
- Serves as conductor in Summer Camp.
- Collaborates with Executive Director to develop and enhance stakeholder relationships.
- Collaborates with Managing Director to deliver curriculum to members and performances to audiences.
- Travels with assigned Choirs on travel and tours
Compensation and Benefits commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree in Choral Conducting preferred.
- Some experience in early childhood education or in conducting children’s choirs.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, coordinate, and direct a successful music education program
- Organized self-starter with excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- National Fingerprint/Background Check Required
Established in 1733, Savannah is known for its rich history, natural beauty, eclectic architecture and romantic ambiance, Savannah tells the tale of past generations with an added modern punch of high-style boutiques, galleries and restaurants.
In addition to its historical and architectural heritage, Savannah boasts vibrant business (www.savannahchamber.com), arts (www.savannahmusicfestival.org, www.filmfest.scad.edu) and educational (www.scad.edu, www.georgiasouthern.edu) communities, regularly earning it accolades from national and international publications such as:
One of the South’s Best Cities. https://www.southernliving.com/souths-best/cities#souths-best-cities-new-orleans
11th Most Romantic City. http://www.savannahnow.com/news/2018-02-08/savannah-ranked-11th-most-romantic-city-america
The New Brooklyn? https://www.vogue.com/article/savannah-georgia-guide-where-to-eat-shop-and-stay
Coolest Cities to Visit. https://www.forbes.com/sites/annabel/2018/02/26/the-10-coolest-u-s-cities-to-visit-in-2018/#74aa3aca663b
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Please email cover letter and resume to Jane@savannahchoir.org