CHICAGO SYMPHONY CHORUS
The Chicago Symphony Chorus, performing with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra for sixty years in Orchestra Hall and at the Ravinia Festival, has been led by chorus director and conductor Duain Wolfe since 1994. The Chorus began in 1957, when sixth CSO music director Fritz Reiner invited Margaret Hillis to establish a chorus to equal the quality of the Orchestra. Hillis accepted the challenge and led the Chorus for thirty-seven years until her retirement in 1994. In its sixty years the Chorus has toured internationally, premiered new works, appeared on movie soundtracks, collaborated with visiting orchestras, and received ten Grammy awards for Best Choral Performance.
The Chicago Symphony Chorus is seeking qualified candidates for the position of
• Preferred: Master of Music degree
• At least 5 years conducting a chorus in a leadership position, preferably with professional singers.
• Strong musical skills and an analytical ear
• Understanding of musical styles, periods, and characteristics
• Strong orchestra score reading skills
• Experience conducting orchestras
• Familiarity with orchestral works featuring chorus, including oratorios, masses, and operas
• Basic keyboard skills
• Ability to lead a fast-paced rehearsal
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to generate seating charts
• Ability to work collegially with the other staff conductors and staff pianists.
• Ability to serve effectively in a support role to the Chorus Director.
This position is part time and paid on a per service basis. The amount of work varies each season, so income varies correspondingly. Chicago area residents are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should submit applications to email@example.com by November 15, 2017
Please include the following:
- Cover letter
- Resume outlining education, conducting experience, and vocal training
- Two or three videos demonstrating conducting of choral/orchestral repertoire.
(Note: Videos that include orchestra are desirable but not required.)
- Three References who can speak to your rehearsal and conducting skills
We suggest that any large files be shared via Dropbox.
Please feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the application.