07 Jun 2018
The Arlington Chorale
30 Jun 2018
· · The Arlington Chorale (TAC) seeks candidates for an Artistic Director and Conductor to lead the Chorale. Established in 1966, The Arlington Chorale (TAC), formerly The Metropolitan Chorus, is a nonprofit ensemble composed of chorus members from Northern Virginia, DC, and Maryland. The Chorale rehearses weekly on Monday evenings at 7:15 PM.
· Position Summary
· To direct a choir of adults including developing repertoire, conducting choir rehearsals, coordinating with an accompanist, and preparing participants for performances, the Artistic Director and Conductor will inspire participants and set a tone for fun and friendly engagement through music. The position reports to the Board of Directors and meets with the Board regularly throughout the year.
- Promote the Chorale and its mission. Work with the Chorale and the Board to promote and encourage fellowship in the learning, preparation, and performance of music.
- Prepare for the upcoming season (20%)
- Design each concert performance including theme development and integration of guest artists, ensembles, and soloists.
- Organize performance schedule including public concert and education or outreach concerts.
- Invite previous members to come sing for the next season. Hold auditions for new members at least twice a year, normally in August and January.
- Plan and schedule rehearsals, including sectionals and dress rehearsals.
- Plan the printed program and electronic publicity with the Board.
- Work with the Board to select and order the music in time for first rehearsal.
- Design, coordinate, and direct Chorale programming (60%)
- Train, rehearse, and direct the Chorale including vocal/physical warm ups, learning music, and preparing for performances.
- Email rehearsal reminders to Chorale members.
- Instrumentalists (10%)
- Contracts with musicians for each concert project
- Rehearse musicians for each concert project.
- Communicate with the accompanist regarding the rehearsal list, tempos, and other performance-related issues in preparation of the music.
- Administrative (5%)
- Arrange for a substitute director in the event of absence during a performance season.
- Prepare budget requests each season in collaboration with the board.
- Communicate regularly with the Board (5%)
- Attend Board meetings and provide a monthly report to the Board.
- Work with Board members on individual items such as community outreach, program, publicity, etc.
· Required Experience:
- Experience conducting a chorus with singers of various musical skills and experience
- Knowledge of choral music and experience with a variety of musical styles and traditions
· Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Strong leadership skills, particularly involving leadership of choral or other music organizations.
· Strong oral and written communication skills that include a demonstrated ability to communicate (1) musical and artistic ideas and interpretations to a chorus or other music group; (2) organization strategies and goals with an oversight body, such as a board of directors or similar governing panel; and (3) music background and history to audiences.
· Computer literacy, including familiarity with word processing, email, and internet applications.
· Demonstrated ability to develop and adhere to a budget for a chorus or other music group.
· In-depth knowledge of choral music and repertoire, and an ability to match such music and repertoire to the skills and experience of a given chorus.
· Demonstrated ability to develop a strong working relationship with an accompanist.
· Excellent problem-solving skills, including the ability to tactfully and firmly resolve conflicts.
Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and cover letter describing their interest by June 30, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please visit www.arlingtonchorale.org.