20 Dec 2017
31 Jan 2018
Magnum Chorum seeks a new Artistic Director to lead the choir beginning with the 2018-2019 Concert Season. This is a part-time position.
The Ideal Candidate
Magnum Chorum is seeking a creative and collaborative professional who understands and relates to the choir’s roots and unique history, is comfortable serving on a collaborative staff team, and builds upon strengths to lead the organization into its next phase of growth. The Artistic Director must communicate effectively and articulate a compelling vision for the choir and translate that vision into original and innovative programs and larger organizational goals. The Artistic Director will drive musical and artistic decisions and performances, and collaborate with the choir’s staff to plan, market and promote performances among our growing audience and wider arts community in the Twin Cities, Midwest and nationally.
The Artistic Director must share the core values of the choir and bring a natural ability to invoke elements of faith, and explore the meaning of song texts, that resonate with singers and audience. The Artistic Director will recognize that our singers are lifelong learners who wish to continue learning about the art and science of singing, vocal technique, intonation, tone production, diction and vowels. The Artistic Director will prepare for weekly rehearsals and bring a positive, energetic, consistent, collaborative, and genuine spirit to rehearsals and concerts.
Responsibilities of the Artistic Director
- Develop the artistic vision of the choir in collaboration with the board and staff
- Create compelling original and innovative programs for the choir while building on our tradition
- Select, prepare, rehearse and perform the musical repertoire of performances
- Actively develop new performance, collaborative and recording opportunities
- Recruit and audition singers
- Build positive relationships with singers, staff, audience members, donors and board members
- Establish and uphold a standard of regular attendance and professionalism for singers
- Set expectations for singers’ outside rehearsal practice time based on repertoire
- Actively and collaboratively participate in regular staff meetings and board meetings
- Contribute to building concert attendance and revenue
- Assist staff in developing relationships with donors to increase charitable gift revenue
- Promote Magnum Chorum in the Twin Cities, Midwest and nationally through collegial relationships with choral and music organizations, ensembles, musicians, conductors, composers, choral associations, colleges and church congregations
Application must be submitted by Wednesday, January 31, 2018. Application must include:
- Cover letter;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Three letters of reference with full title, email address and phone number
- Sample video or digital sound recording from a recent rehearsal (10 minutes max)
- Sample video or digital sound recording from a recent performance (10 minutes max)
- Three or four concert programs from recent concerts
Selected candidates will be invited to interview with the search committee in February 2018. Final candidates will be invited to audition with the choir in March or April 2018. Final selection will be made in May 2018. For more information about Magnum Chorum and the position, please visit: https://magnumchorum.org/about/magnum-chorum-artistic-director-search.
Please send application by January 31, 2018 electronically to email@example.com or via USPS (postmarked no later than January 31, 2018):
PO Box 16600
Minneapolis, MN 55416