01 Oct 2015
06 Nov 2015
Founded in 1977, Chorus America is the advocacy, research, and leadership development organization that advances the choral field. We support and serve choral conductors, administrators, board members, and singers with tools, training, peer-networking, and access so that choruses are better able to contribute to their communities. Chorus America has over 2,000 members; a 9-member, well-respected staff; and an annual budget of $1.3 million.
The associate director of development is key to maintaining and expanding the organization’s broad reach and standing in the arts community. Together with the president and CEO, the associate director of development is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of Chorus America’s philanthropic relationships and serves as a principal staff member in achieving the organization’s fundraising goals. Fundraising activities currently include an annual fund campaign, major gifts program, corporate sponsorships, foundation grants, special events, and a modest planned-giving program.
- In collaboration with the president & CEO and board leadership, help develop and implement a comprehensive, strategic fundraising plan with specific, measurable annual goals that will enable Chorus America to meet its current budget and achieve future growth;
- Nurture and regularly acknowledge current donors and develop strategies to identify and cultivate new major individual donors and foundation grants;
- Manage proposal production, grant tracking, and reporting requirements
- Serve as primary writer for foundation and government grant proposals
- Participate in budgeting, strategic planning and board development;
- Provide fundraising leadership for special projects including the annual auction and commission consortia;
- With the development operations manager, consistently track and document donor/prospect contacts through call reports, oversee departmental database, and manage development budgets;
- With the development operations manager, follow the department’s policies and operating procedures, ensure that all development data and gift processing is accurate and timely, reconcile donor gift records, and produce regular progress reports;
- Assist the planned giving committee to identify and cultivate planned giving prospects for Chorus America’s planned giving program “Continuo”;
- Participate in the Annual Conference team and leading the conference sponsorship activities;
- Strategically leverage the time and connections of the president & CEO and of Chorus America Board Members to achieve fundraising goals;
- Staff the board development committee and other committees when/if requested by the president and CEO;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (minimum) and at least 5 years of progressively responsible fundraising experience , with a track record of closing major gifts both personally and with others;
- A history of meeting or exceeding contributed income goals;
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written;
- Ability and willingness to travel to meet current and potential donors;
- Experience with the CiviCRM platform a plus, but experience with an industry-standard database is essential;
- Strong initiative, ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships;
- Committed team player;
- Proven management and leadership capabilities;
- An entrepreneurial spirit and a creative and positive approach to problem solving;
- Knowledge and appreciation of music or the arts is desired.
This is a full-time/exempt position is based in Washington, DC and salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Chorus America provides a competitive benefits package to full-time employees.
Interested candidates should submit a resume, letter of interest, references, and salary requirements to Chorus America at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.