CONSORTIUM COMMISSION – Call for SATB Choirs for Membership
We cordially invite you to join the consortium to commission a new work by composer Yvonne Freckmann, a secular "Requiem" for SATB Choir and Chamber Orchestra as a memorial to the victims of COVID-19 and a way to reflect and heal as a community through music. Membership signup is December 1st with a score release date by July 15th, 2022.
"Requiem" for the victims of a pandemic will be a choral piece with a chamber orchestra created to help people heal in a ritual gathering and lifting of voices. As ensembles begin to reconvene, they need music to commemorate the ordeal of the pandemic, the lives and opportunities lost, and to rekindle hope. As a composer I cannot develop a vaccine, but I feel called to make music to bring consolation in this time that has indelibly touched us all.
If this is a project you or your ensemble would like to be a part of, or if you have any questions and would like to learn more, please check out the project page on Consortio or contact me directly at NewRequiemProject [at] gmail [dot] com. We would love to get at least three choirs on board by December 1st, so please don't hesitate to reach out if you or somebody you know may be interested or would like to negotiate terms.
- Instrumentation | SATB Choir + two (2) vocal soloists, Chamber Orchestra
- Duration | approx. 20 minutes
- Difficulty | Medium-Advanced
- Participation | $500 / commissioning ensemble(s)
- August 2021 | Project launched
- December 1, 2021 | Membership signup deadline
- July 15, 2022 | Score delivered to members
- May 2023 | Score available for public purchase*
*Period of exclusivity for members to perform the work may be extended within reason subject to changes in the ongoing global health situation to ensure the safety and good health of all parties.
By becoming a member of this project, you will receive:
- Reproducible PDFs of the score, parts, and a performable piano reduction
- Two (2) rehearsal sessions with the composer via video call
- Name of your ensemble and director/conductor printed on the inside cover of the score
- The experience of breathing life into a new piece!
About the Composer
From the whistling windmills of the Dutch landscape to the buzzing insects of the South African savannah, Yvonne Freckmann translates the soundscape of life into her music. A multilingual musician who grew up playing the piano and clarinet, Freckmann draws great inspiration from her collaborators. She explores sonic possibilities and adapts her musical vocabulary to tell stories of the human experience, and whatever the aim of the composition, she strives to make meaningful music for both the performer and audience.