The 2018 Conducting Academy is a 7-day program focused on developing conductors' choral-orchestral skills. The Conducting Academy will be a positive learning environment that allows each participant to advance at their own pace. The program includes both formal and informal opportunities to connect with dedicated and accessible faculty members.
Applications are open until January 19! Visit our Registration page for requirements and deadlines.
Conducting Fellows, $1,100
- Repertoire: Fellows will have an opportunity to conduct Mendelssohn's String Symphony No. 4 in C Minor and Chorale Cantata Christe du lamm Gottes, Mozart's Requiem and Sonata No. 15 in C Major and Bernstein's Chichester Psalms. Specific required edition information to come.
- Conducting in Final Performance: The Academy will culminate in a final performance with orchestra in Cal State Fullerton’s beautiful Meng Concert Hall. Each fellow will receive an assignment to conduct in the performance, which will be videotaped.
- Podium Time: Each Fellow will have 20 minutes of podium time each day, consisting of sessions with piano, string quintet, and chorus as well as sessions with full orchestra and chorus. All sessions will be videotaped.
- Video Review Sessions: Video review sessions will be held each day.
- Faculty Symposia: The faculty will lead symposia, dealing with issues such as string technique, performance practice, rehearsal technique, and the business of being a choral conductor.
Conducting Scholars, $650
- Repertoire: Scholars will have an opportunity to conduct Mozart's Requiem and Bernstein's Chichester Psalms. Specific required edition information to come.
- Conducting in a Performance Setting: Each Scholar will receive an assignment to conduct in a special Scholar performance opportunity with string quintet and chorus in Meng Concert Hall.
- Conducting Classes and Lessons: Faculty podium coaches will teach conducting classes specifically for Scholars during the week. Each Scholar will also receive an individual conducting lesson.
- Observation of Podium Time: This allows Scholars to observe faculty instruction of the Fellows.
- Faculty Symposia: Scholars will have full access to the daily faculty symposia.
Daily Observers, $50 per day
- Daily observers have the opportunity to observe all Fellow podium time and the conducting classes for Scholars, as well as to take part in the faculty symposia.
For more information, please contact:
Dianne Peterson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Christie McKinney, email@example.com