TK-8 Music Teaching Artists
General/Choral Music teachers sought for 2020-21 school year
The Oakland Youth Chorus seeks part time general and choral instructors for current and anticipated openings and our sub list. Teachers work closely with students, on-site personnel, and OYC staff, teaching the fundamentals of general and choral music to TK-8 in-school and after school programs. Lessons connect with world cultures, focus on musical skills development, and support student learning across disciplines - particularly focused on early literacy and SEL integration..
We seek teachers with strong vocal training and pedagogical backgrounds. Positions will include TK-8 music and/or K-5 choral instruction. Successful candidates will have a history of developing successful new programs as part of an arts organization and recruitment for elective classes. Teachers will be hired for one or more sites throughout the East Bay.
COVID 19 NOTICES: All positions will be starting in distance learning (projected early September). Because OYC hires for a full year, with the hopes of teachers continuing for several years with sites, applicants must be local to the area and able to commute to the school sites once conditions are safe to do so. OYC will also be limiting the number of sites per instructor for the season in preparation for future transitions back to classrooms safely for students and all adults working with them.
Candidates therefore must also have or work with us to arrange reliable technology at home and internet connections.
• Teach music using OYC's multicultural model to elementary-aged school children (grades TK-8)
• Incorporate classroom percussion, recorders and Orff instruments into general music programs
• Attend regular staff meetings, retreats, and trainings as required (usually 4-5 times per year)
• Build relationships with Principals, parents and students -coordinate virtual or future on-site performances and events
• Prepare students to participate in school and OYC concerts and events (virtual for 2020)
• Attend OYC concerts, monitoring elementary children during performance (Dec, March, May)-applies post Covid
• Administer and facilitate evaluation tools and advocacy efforts as part of OYC initiatives
• Complete time sheets and other administrative paperwork in a timely fashion
➢ 2-3 years Experience developing lesson plans for music classes and delivering instruction in a group classroom setting
➢ Demonstrated ability to teach music to young children (TK-8)
➢ Knowledge and appreciation of music from a variety of cultures
➢ Strong classroom management and student engagement in various settings
➢ Demonstrated commitment to working with diverse groups.
➢ Passion for OYC's mission and the services we provide.
➢ Reliable transportation to school sites. (post Covid)
➢ Pass OUSD IA requirements and all district requirements for contractors
➢ Bilingual in Spanish highly desired
➢ Certification in Kodaly, Orff and/or other music education methodologies preferred, willing to incorporate them with OYC training necessary.
➢ Degree in music or music education or specialization certificates in Orff and Kodaly preferred
➢ Piano or guitar accompaniment a plus
Compensation commensurate with experience - ranging from $45-55/hr. and $25/hr. meeting/required training stipends. All OYC personnel are hired as employees and provided with paid sick leave, worker's comp, and access to a 401k plan.
Interested applicants should email a short cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Videos of online instruction and ensemble teaching at the elementary level are welcomed as part of candidates' applications.