27 Jul 2012
Windy City Performing Arts
08 Aug 2012
Mission Statement & Background
Windy City Performing Arts (WCPA) celebrates diversity, honors creativity, and cultivates pride through the transformative power of music. Founded in 1983, WCPA is currently comprised of two choruses: Windy City Gay Chorus and Aria: Windy City Treble Ensemble. Each ensemble in WCPA performs a variety of musical styles from classical to pop. We pride ourselves on musical excellence regardless of the style of music. The choruses have a history of performing major choral works including special commissioned pieces.
WCPA seeks a Guest Artistic Director to lead the artistic direct direction of Windy City Gay Chorus and Aria for the preparatory period of August 25 to December 31, 2012, with the possibility to extend the contract through the 2013 season and beyond.The Guest Artistic Director will lead the rehearsals and concerts for both groups during this time. Each chorus rehearses weekly during the preparatory period (Aria – Monday nights from 7:30-10pm and Windy City Gay Chorus – Wednesday nights from 7:30-10pm).
This position is a part-time, contractual position.
- Direct the Holiday 2012 concert and preparatory period.
- Lead the musical selection, as well as the artistic and technical plan development for the preparatory period and concert, in collaboration with the Programming Committee.
- Conduct one weekly rehearsal for each ensemble, with optional additional rehearsals as needed
- Coach chorus members on vocal sound, including educating members on proper vocal technique
- Conduct auditions for prospective members
- Recruit and supervise assistant conductors, music librarians, and section leaders
- Work collaboratively with the day-to-day operations of the choir and board of directors as it relates to budgeting, membership and community engagement
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Choral Conducting, Music or relevant field
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in choral conducting or related experience
- Ability to lead rehearsals on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 7:30-10pm
- Outstanding musicianship
- Broad knowledge of choral repertoire
- Understanding of diverse range of women's and men’s voices
- Experience working with LGBTQA audiences preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to motivate and lead individuals and large groups
- Good sense of humor
The Guest Artistic Director position is that of an independent contractor, and payment is negotiable from $2,000 per month.
We will keep the position open until filled. For immediate consideration, please send a cover letter and CV/resume to email@example.com by August 8, 2012. For more information on the organization, please visit www.windycitysings.org.