San Francisco, CA
30 Apr 2012
San Francisco Boys Chorus
01 Jun 2012
San Francisco Boys Chorus (SFBC)
Apprentice Chorus Director, Level III Group
Monday, Wednesday – 1.5hrs, on both days, San Francisco
Tuesday, Thursday – 1.5hrs, on both days, Marin/ Oakland
Training Chorus Director
Music Education Director
The Apprentice Chorus Director will join the SFBC Music Faculty in August 2012. A self-directed and organized individual who is able to choose music for each semester, create lesson plans, track and record students’ theory progress and maintain student rosters and attendance records. Working under the guidance of the Training Chorus Director and in collaboration with other SFBC Music Faculty, the Apprentice Chorus Director will lead bi- weekly chorus rehearsals at two SFBC Campuses, Monday-Thursday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Collaborate with SFBC Music Faculty to establish goals and objectives for the School Program, consistent with SFBC Chorus expectations.
· Responsible for the selection of appropriate repertoire that promotes healthy vocal development, chosen from diverse backgrounds, origins and traditions.
· Collaborate with Music Education Director to create semester long musicianship plan.
2. Program Delivery:
· Challenge choristers in their choral singing and expected performance practices.
· Conduct concerts and other performances as needed throughout the year and represent SFBC at various public functions as needed.
· Focus on music literacy development using the SFBC Kodály inspired curriculum.
· Teach musicianship (sight singing and theory) to Levels II, III, and IV choristers under the auspices of the Music Education Director.
· Occasionally lead sectional rehearsals for Levels III and IV during musicianship class times.
· Complete and ensure the timely distribution of twice-yearly chorister evaluations.
· Contribute to final program evaluation at the end of the academic year.
· Work closely with the Training Chorus Director to prepare choristers for promotion into the next performance group.
4. Administrative Responsibilities:
· Communicate student progress and goals with parents.
· Attend twice-annual staff professional development workshops.
· Attend thrice-annual new chorister auditions in San Rafael and San Francisco.
· Attend twice-monthly music faculty meetings.
· Bachelors Degree in Music, preferably with an emphasis in education and/or early childhood development
· Minimum of 3-5 years comprehensive choral experience including knowledge of vocal pedagogy, choral diction and articulation, and languages
· Experience with the Kodály method. Masters degree in Kodály instruction method preferred.
· Is a dynamic teacher who is able to engage and motivate singers to the highest standards of artistic excellence
· Familiarity with choral repertoire and vocal development in children.
· Ability to travel between campuses including San Francisco, San Rafael, and Oakland during the Chorus year (September through June).
Monday and Wednesday: 1.5hrs, on both days, San Francisco
Tuesday and Thursday: 1.5hrs, on both days, Marin OR Oakland
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply, send cover letter, resume, and references to Amanda Eng, Arts Administration Fellow, email@example.com. Please include the position that you are applying for in the subject line.
The San Francisco Boys Chorus is an Equal Opportunity Employer.