The 2020 Conducting Academy is a 7-day program focused on developing conductors' choral-orchestral skills.
This year, the Conducting Academy will partner with California State University, Fullerton’s Choral Education Workshop for K-12 music educators. This returning program combines professional development with the opportunity to sing a choral masterwork and runs concurrently with the Academy.
Conducting Academy Program Descriptions
Conducting Fellows, $1,325
- Repertoire: Fellows will have an opportunity to conduct excerpts from Haydn's Creation.
- Conducting in Final Performance: The Academy will culminate in a performance with orchestra in Meng Concert Hall. Each fellow will receive an assignment to conduct in the performance, which will be video recorded.
- Podium Time and Lessons: Each Fellow will receive five podium sessions with string quintet and one orchestra-chorus rehearsal. Each Fellow will also receive an individual conducting lesson. All podium sessions will be videotaped.
- Video Review Sessions: Video review sessions will be held each day.
- Faculty Forums: The faculty will lead forums, dealing with issues such as performance practice, rehearsal technique, and the business of being a choral conductor.
Conducting Scholars, $950
- Repertoire: Scholars will have an opportunity to conduct Haydn's Creation.
- Conducting a string quintet: Each Scholar will receive an assignment to conduct in a special Scholar podium session with string quintet and chorus, which will be video recorded.
- Podium Time and Lessons: Each Scholar will receive three podium sessions with piano and one with string quintet. Each Scholar will also receive an individual conducting lesson. All podium sessions will be videotaped.
- Observation of Podium Time: Scholars will observe faculty instruction of the Fellows and have the opportunity to participate in the Creation chorus.
- Faculty Forums: Scholars will have full access to the faculty forums.
For more information, please contact: Christie McKinney, email@example.com 202.331.7577 x250